Topic

Oregon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Oregon?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We’re headed up to Portland later this summer from Napa….and looking for a trip or two that we could enjoy along the way.  We’ve done a ton of backpacking, and are more interested in peaks and lakes than big rivers and fishing…

And fewer people is better than more people.  grin

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Three Sisters

You could drive up to McKenzie Pass, hike South on PCT from there.  Or drive to Devil’s Lake and hike up South Sister, Moraine Lake is pretty nice.  There are people but not too bad when you get a few miles from trailhead. http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Central_Oregon_Hikes has some details.

Trinity Alps nice too, in northern CA

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ll try to come up with some hikes in a bit, but one caveat: the solar eclipse this summer passes directly over central parts of the state; it’s probably easier to look up the exact path than describe it here. State govt and local news (with the possibly-slightly-exaggerated edge that all local news can get) are describing a mass influx of people, with all state park camping sites already booked and small towns in the path expected to be overrun. Just something to keep in mind.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Yep–I know about the eclipse, and my visit will not be at the same time…so maybe I’ll avoid the astronomical crush.

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

I second the suggestion of the Three Sisters Loop.  About 50 miles, easy logistics and great hiking.  The town of Bend is also worth visiting.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Good stuff there Link.  And the rest of your site.  That’s a pretty good list of 8 icons.  Some day maybe I’ll do Wonderland but it’s a bit long for me and permits are difficult, I’ve done the other 7.  Pole Creek might be the best trailhead for Three Sisters.

Aaron Madsen
    BPL Member

@muleaaron

Locale: Far NorCal

I’ll second the Trinities, but I may be a bit biased as it’s in my backyard. PM me for specific recommendations if your considering it.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Yep–we’ve done some hiking in the Trinities….and they aren’t that far from home. Since we have to go all the way to Portland anyway, I think we’re going to tackle a couple of hikes further north–maybe Devil’s Lake to Green Lake near the Sisters, and something out of Ollalie Lake as well.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Green Lakes is very busy, especially summer weekends.  Camping in designated sites only.  You may not find a site.

I’d  camp somewhere above Moraine Lake.  That’s fairly busy and designated sites only, but if you go above Moraine Lake, like west of it, outside the designated site area, there’s some nice spots.  May as well summit South Sister : )

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Thanks for the advice….

nick u
    Spectator

@pdxnick

Its not really on the way, but the Wallowa River Loop is a fantastic mountain hike and worth the trip

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/wallowa-river-loop-backpacking-guide

However, there is significant snow up there and the Polaris Pass is closed presently. So check trail conditions before you go

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Nick, you posted the same link I gave above

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools