Topic

OR Realm Gurdian II Jacket. Weight too good to be true? New Ultimate Rain Coat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) OR Realm Gurdian II Jacket. Weight too good to be true? New Ultimate Rain Coat?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I was just surveying the Outdoor research site to see if they finally came out with a rain jacket that uses Ascentshell, has pit-zips, and is not too heavy.

The new Guardian II appears to be it if the numbers are to be believed.  It just seems rather unbelievable that now it has larger side vents (torsion flo from arm to hem instead of “pit zips”) and it is 50D and still weighs essentially the same as the Interstellar (11.8) and less than the Microgravity (14.5), which both have 20D fabric.   Do you think that the 12. 7 oz is possibly an accurate weight?

outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-guardian-ii-ascentshell-jacket-274390?cat=4

The old versions weighed 17.6 oz.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-guardian-jacket-269167

If these stats are correct, it could be my new dream jacket to replace the only rain jacket that I ever liked which was the EMS Helix Anorak.

https://www.ems.com/ems-mens-helix-anorak/1281922.html

This jacket was 12.8 oz, had breathability of Neoshell, and giant pitzip on left and pit zip on right all the way to the hem, so I could actually hike in it comfortably between periods where rain stopped and not have to take off my coat.  It is just too worn out to be serviceable (holes and abrasion etc.).

According to OR rep. in an email, Ascentshell has similar CFM to Neoshell with .3 CFM, but better water resistance at 20000K vs. Neoshell usually at 10000K.  Another strange claim from the OR rep. is “10000 breathability”, seems low with .3 CFM.

I need to contact them on a weekday to make sure this weight is accurate.  No local retailers have the Guardian II, just the old version.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Have you looked at the MHW Stretch Ozonic? On sale now for great prices, pit zips and similar weight to Interstellar.  Like the Ascentshell laminates, it’s stretchy and air permeable.

Hand feel is much softer and quieter.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-womens/rain-jacket-womens/mountain-hardwear-stretch-ozonic-womens

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think any rain coat discussed as “Ultimate” must be DWR-less  nowadays.  A Gore Shakedry H7 would be the ticket.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools