Topic

Optimus Polaris Optifuel stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Optimus Polaris Optifuel stove

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eddie Brennan
    BPL Member

@ouakha

Locale: Scotland

Hi.

Bought this stove last July but due to lockdowns, my first use was June this year.

I was using it in a large outbuilding at a campsite. I connected up my Primus gas cannister and turned the gas on, lighting with a match. Cue lots of noise, spluttering and flaring up, all fairly alarming so I turned it down to try to bring under control only for it to go out.

Testing today brings up the same issues. Big flare up and then out when brought down.

Anyone know what may be the issue? I regularly use a dedicated gas stove with no issues but want a multi fuel to expand into using liquid fuels.

Ta

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Does not sound like proper operation.  Was the canister inverted by any chance?  That could cause some sputtering and flames but it should not go out.

Is it still under warranty?  You might just return it.

One test would be to try liquid Coleman fuel. If it has been used a lot, did it not come with a magnetic gizmo to clean the feed to the burner. That might help.

I owned the Optimus liquid fuel only version of this stove and it worked like a charm for over a decade.

If Hikin’ Jim were here he would tell you that the burner design dates back to the Primus One that the turn of the century arctic explorers used.

Cheers

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Assuming you read the manual. It seems as some flaring up is normal even with isobutane when the stove is cold in a couple of videos I saw about it. I don’t have first hand experience with it.

Also, even though the canister can be inverted, you need to start the stove with it upright and once the stove is warm, you can reverse it.

Manual screen shot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools