Topic

Only two days to hike in Scotland. Where to go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Only two days to hike in Scotland. Where to go?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

I’m visiting Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburg) for a few days in early October. I’ll have only full two days to get some hiking in before I need to fly back to the States. What’s worth checking out if I’m limited on time and public transportation? Ben Nevis seems to be the obvious choice, but is there something else that’s jaw dropping?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am sure some of the UK based BPLers will chime in with good advice.

Ben Nevis is a great hike but there can be lots of other folks on the main trail that starts at the Glen Nevis visitor center. You could look at a map and plan an approach from the West Highland Way which more or less runs from Glasgow to Ben Nevis.

The Cairgorms are pretty awesome. You can start at the funicular railway at get higher more quickly. The town is a ski resort.

If you are without a car, Fort William (and Ben Nevis) are easier to get to via train and bus. Fort William also has some great seafood, salmon and shell fish fresh out of the Firth.

I have done a few hikes in October and November. I quickly learned why the experienced UK walkers carry protective water proof map cases and a bivy sack. The weather can turn quite nasty very quickly.

Richard Daniell
    BPL Member

@rdan

Locale: Scotland

If you haven’t already, check out http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk. It contains most, if not all the of the best walking tracks (long and short) in Scotland as well as downloadable .gpx files, corresponding OS map, user ratings etc. etc. I would recommend something other than Ben Nevis unless you go up by the Carn Mor Dearg Arete (walkhighlands link) as it is not very inspiring by the mountain track. There will be plenty of users on the walkhighlands forum who can point you in an even better direction. Best of luck! It is a beautiful place over here. Consider myself very lucky to have lived here a few years!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools