Topic

Online wilderness permits and their “no show” permit holders?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Online wilderness permits and their “no show” permit holders?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

I wanted to find out if this is a regular thing, or if its something I’ve just not been around before or?

So anyway, my daughter and I decided last minute (two weeks or so) to get together and go down from SLC and hike the Trans Zion Trek, the across the park hike.  Wilderness permits on line show every site booked solid thru the end of June…   so we opt for doing our own logistics and do the walk up thing. We hit all our marks, parking, permits, shuttle, and had a great trip!

But…..   in everyone of the campsites we spent over the 3 nights, there weren’t any other people there… we never saw a hiker doing the same route.  Never saw any multi day hikers at all.

So my question is; is this normal?  Do all these permits get soaked up into the wind to just fall useless? Is there a solution? I mean it drives an entirely wrong perspective, i.e. I was sure we were going into a crowded and full camp area only to find no one. And it makes for a lot of extra work for those trying to get a walk in permit.

Have we fallen to such lengths that even wilderness permits are basically a buy or toss kind of thing? With no regard for that opportunity as it misses some other hiker?  Was very much a new situation for me.

Have others experienced this as well? Is there some feedback or perspective from the reservation side?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve seen that in Three Sisters Wilderness in central Oregon

Only one person parked overnight at Lava Lake trailhead which is normally mobbed.  They just implemented a plan that restricts number of people that are allowed.  I think they booked 30 people buy only one showed up.

Except, then I hit a “pulse” of PCT thru hikers and it was very crowded.  People camped on top of me.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Yes, I’ve experienced this and it’s infuriating. I’m not sure what the solution is other than to make it too expensive to just reserve a site and not show up. I don’t know how something like this could be implemented though.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Maybe it’s time to start penalizing “no shows” by denying them the ability to book future permits after, say, 2 no shows?  Or any other way of imposing consequences that would get their attention.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Perhaps greater emphasis from the parks, etc on cancelling if your plans change to allow others to take your place as well as an incentive to do so. Grand Canyon offers a hiker credit good  for a year if you cancel I’m not sure if any other parks do. I’ve had to reduce number of people coming on a trip before because a site was showing at capacity even the day before only to have it not close to full when I got there. This was in the Smokies where you are allowed one change per permit but no refund or credit at all unless the park closes the site. I assume the people thought “why  bother to cancel,nothing in it for me”. Given the state of park funding I’d be more than happy with a time limited partial credit.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Yeah, they should tell people to cancel so others can get permits.

If the percentage of no shows was about the same every day, they could just allocate more permits

Forest Service people just look at the trailhead every day and if it’s over crowded, decrease the number of permits.  If it’s way empty then increase the number of permits.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

From anecdotal evidence (based on my conversations with other backpackers, USFS and NPS employees, reports posted on online backpacking forums, my own personal experience, etc.), it seems like this is certainly a common issue.

It also happens with rental cabins and lookouts, too. I’ve arrived at rental cabin that was booked solid for the week before my arrival, but there was no way anyone had been there for a few days based on the tracks (or lack) in the snow that they would’ve had to xc-ski or snowshoe through to access the cabin (and it’s not like they didn’t go because the weather was hazardous and a few feet of snow were supposed to fall, just that a few inches fell early in the week and it was still totally untracked despite it being booked solid before I skied in on the weekend). I’ve seen others mention this as well, or arriving at campsites in the backcountry (or campgrounds in the front country) where they should be booked solid or have multiple parties at them, only to find them at half-capacity or empty. I’ve also had this experience myself (at a backcountry campsite that should have 1-2 other groups there, but there is no one there).

I have no idea what the solution is. I think the commodification of backcountry campsites and cabins provides abundant incentives to book, but none to cancel if you can’t make the trip.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I’ve been at campgounds where there are a bunch of no show campsite reservations

Some campgrounds allow others to take the campsite after the first day of no show

Some campgrounds have said to me they don’t care.  Someone paid for the site.  They’ll just leave it unoccupied for the duration of the reservation.  It does require less work, like cleaning bathrooms

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I think rec,gov has a lot to do with this. By centralizing control of most (all?) federal outdoor recreation sites, and incentivizing a private company to manage the whole thing, and opening it up to anyone on earth with an internet connection and a credit card, our federal agencies have created a monster. PMags has some good thoughts on this – https://pmags.com/the-scourge-of-rec-dot-gov

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I’ve never been afraid to trespass a bit, but I’m also the type you’ll never know I was there. Permits are good when I can get them, but I havent been harassed without them the couple times I winged it. Maybe I’m just lucky.

Most recently I showed up at a state forest camp in oregon after 14 hours of driving. Drove around the loop at 9pm, 7 open spots. Asked the camp host if I could stay – she said no, they’re full. So I drove around again and camped the night, no problems.

Dumb (illogical) rules are asking to be ignored. Generally I’m ok taking a chance with low consequence. Also I always pick up other peoples trash, so I feel like I could get some sympathy from authorities with my bag of trash if needed. Not everywhere obviously, but my experience has all been good so far.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

easier to ask forgiveness than permission?

I am tempted to park at Lava Lake trailhead and just backpack as I feel like and ignore the central oregon wilderness permit.  So far, that’s just idle talk.  Attempt at humor.

I have heard of people illegally hiking into the Bull Run watershed.  If you apologize and pretend ignorance they’ll let you go with a warning.  If you say you’re doing it knowingly, they’ll give you a ticket.  I think I’ll stay out of there to avoid polluting the water supply.  Good reason to prevent people from entering.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools