Topic

Onion Valley to Whitney Portal last week of June – alternate ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Onion Valley to Whitney Portal last week of June – alternate ideas?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Christopher McBride
    Spectator

@chrismcbride76

Locale: PNW

Due to scheduling constraints, and not realizing the crazy amount of snowfall this year, I got permits for a week trip over Kearsarge Pass exiting at Whitney portal.  (June 26 – July 1).

Ultimately we’ll need to see what the conditions are like when the dates get closer, but I’m trying to figure out if any portion of this will be doable.

From what I’ve read, on a normal snow year, Forrester Pass will have some snow/ice during this time.  Considering the amount of snow this year, is there any chance to get up/over that pass and exit at Whitney Portal the last week of June?

Since making it over Forrester Pass probably isn’t going to happen, our tentative plan is to do an out-an back, spending some time around Center Basin, Vidette Lakes, and/or Lake Reflection.  I’m worried about stream crossings though…

If you could help me with a couple questions, I’d greatly appreciate it:

1. Will we even be able to make it over Kearsarge Pass?
    2. Should we expect stream crossings to be a problem?
    3. If you had permits during this time period (June 26 – July 1), what kind of itinerary would you follow?  Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools