Topic

One person tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) One person tent

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brett
    BPL Member

@brettbelingheri

Locale: Wasatch Front

+1 for the Sixmoons Lunar Solo. I’ve been using this tent for a few years now, and I really like it. The floor plan is nice in that it gives you some room for gear. I love the sideways entrance and vestibule: I can get in easily, keep shoes outside by they’re still protected from the rain, I can cook from bed. I’ve been really impressed with the lack of condensation (at least with the areas I’ve taken it to, others might have different experiences.) It’s not the lightest (29.1oz for tent, stakes, polycro groundsheet, and stuff sack), but it was my first lightweight shelter and for someone just getting into the lighter packs it has served me really well.

Bryan Bihlmaier
    BPL Member

@bryanb

Locale: Wasatch Mountains

Eric and Collin, have either of you used your TT Moment DW’s in winter with blowing snow?  Do you have the solid interior?  I am looking for a one-man winter tent that is light enough to make it worth buying, instead of taking my 2-person mountaineering tent (MHW EV2).  I own a Double Rainbow and love it for 3-season – that is why I am really considering another TT.  Just want to see how winter-worthy they are in the mountains.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Bryan, I can’t answer your question but you can order a stronger 9mm pole for the Moment and that should help with wind and snow.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

1P tents I’ve had:

North Face June Bug, Black Diamond Firstlight, TarpTent Rainbow, BA Copper Spur 1P.

1P tents I currently have:

MSR Hubba HP, Nemo Hornet 1P

Having backpacked all over the Appalachians, there’s no way I’d use a small single wall tent like the TT Rainbow. While I love its design, the condensation factor will be real and essentially insurmountable.

The Hubba HP (only available in Europe) is my all-season 1P.

The Nemo Hornet 1P is my summer backpack tent. Love it. With everything and a Tyvek footprint it weigh’s 33 oz’s. But it sounds like it may be a bit small for you. The Hornet 2P would be a FANTASITC tent for someone that requires more room. Downright luxurious as a 1P tent. The Hornet’s handle condensation very well IME.

The other tent I’d consider were I you would be the new Tarp Tent Bowfin. It essentially borrows the basic and time proven MSR Hubba Design, and expands it as only Henry does. It’s a double wall design that strikes me as having exceptional ventilation, which I believe is something you absolutely must have in the humid, wet East.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Philip,

One more Tarptent recommendation, but a bit heavier than the Moment DW is the TT Scarp 1. It’s larger inside than the Moment DW and takes another minute to set up B/C it needs 4 stakes, one for each corner.

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Bryan, if conditions are right for a lighter tent then use a pyramid.

Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

I’ve owned and used a Notch, but recently sold it.  My biggest complaint was the packed shape.  The end struts make it a fairly tall, narrow cylinder that was frustrating for me to pack.  I prefer a completely stuffable tent; it makes packing a lot easier.  That said the Notch has a lot of benefits:  lots of vestibule space, completely double-layered, relatively inexpensive, and quick to pitch.  The space for me was adequate, but just barely.  My current shelter is a Gossamer Gear, “The one.”  I hate that name, by the way.  Same basic shape as the Notch, but totally stuffable.  Lots of mesh but is partially single layer, so one does have to mindful of condensation.  It’s a little wider inside than the Notch, but the poles cant outwards which really helps it to feel more spacious than it is.  It takes fractionally more time to pitch but is still quite easy.  One suggestion I definitely have is get a tent with a side entry as opposed to a head entry.  I’m in my mid 50’s, too, and crawling in and out gets old quick.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

If you want a double skin the Copper Spur is roomy.   I had one and in my perpetual quest to pursue a “better” tent I sold it and now use an REI QD1.   I actually liked the Copper Spur slightly more and if I were looking for a roomy single person do anything tent it would be my choice.    They have a newer flavor since I owned mine so YMMV.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

This new REI QD looks pretty nice.   It gives up a couple ounces to the Copper Spur but I’d consider this one too.    Hell…. if I can unload my 2015 version I may give it a try.

https://www.rei.com/product/110817/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-1-tent

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools