Topic

On the Superiority of Target Brand Freezer Bags over Ziplock: A Photo Essay

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) On the Superiority of Target Brand Freezer Bags over Ziplock: A Photo Essay

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Exhibit A – a Ziplock brand quart size freezer bag (10.1¢/bag) after approx. 1 month of moderate use:

Exhibit B – a Target Up & Up brand quart size freezer bag (6.8¢/bag) after I-don’t-remember-but-at-least-six-months of moderate use:

In my experience, the edge of the closure on Ziplock brand bags is always the first part to fail. The fused edges on the Up & Up line keep the zipper closure intact well past the point where the rest of the bag has failed due to puncture or abrasion. This feature isn’t only on their freezer bags, it’s on the whole product line, even the dinky little snack bags.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Good info.  Thanks.

I notice that same failure mode in ZipLock brand bags.  I’ll try to grab some Target house brand when I’m next in Anchorage (160 miles away).  Even better, I’m going through Anchorage for work in Fairbanks and the work will require hundreds of resealable bags (bagging contaminated soil).  So I can swap out mine and also do some torture testing of different brands.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Mitchell,

Thanks for this. Not only have I experienced exactly the type of failure you describe, I’ve been VERY unhappy with the new ZL freezer bag design with the blue “grip edges” (see photo). If you are not super careful the blue part easily rips away from the top edge of the zipper making the bag effectively impossible to open. Worst case when it rips away it destroys the zipper…which is a total bummer when it happens as you open the bag to pour in the boiling water :(

Definitely going to try the Target bags.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I’ve had the exact same problem with the Zip-Loc bags. I have an Aldis store near me, and although their bags aren’t any better / worse in my experience. At least they’re 30% cheaper. I’ll have to buy some at Target next time I’m in an area with a store.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

only on backpackinglight.com : )

I’ve noticed the same failure, maybe 10% of the time

Maybe I’ll get some Target brand ones

I often cut them to size and then seal the edges with a “seal-a-meal”.  You have to wait a couple seconds for it to cool – if you immediately peel it off it will come apart

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

This is great! Ziplocs always fail me at the edge of the closure just as your picture shows. It drives me crazy. Considering the amount I go through, I’d really like to be able to reuse them. I’ll be sure to grab Target’s brand next time.

Do Target’s hold up to FBC (almost boiling water)?

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Post of the month-

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Brought to you by
    Backpacking Light
    :)

Thanks Mitchell

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks for the tip. My  wife can have my current Ziplock freezer bags. ;o)

I’ll get Target freezer bags for an upcoming Escalante River trip in May.

Steve SNS
    Spectator

@sns

Locale: (null)

Think we’re all going to want to see the weights / weight differences for all bag sizes…

:)

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Thanks Mitch.  Great post!

Do you have any comment on the durability of the plastic?  Generic brands always seem to have thinner plastic.  Particularly the freezer bags.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use gallon freezer bag to put map in – 8.5 x 11 ” – actually, 8.5 x 10.75 ” works better

After a while the plastic turns cloudy and it’s hard to read through

I wonder if there’s a more clear zipper top bag

Walt
    BPL Member

@econoline

Locale: socal

Good info, thanks. I need to resupply and will try the Target bags this time.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

How about the Target “zipper” bags?  Much cheaper than Ziploc.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

How about the WalMart “Great Value” brand freezer bags? I smell an in depth BPL article worth subscribing for.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

I’ve had the same problem with the Ziplocks but an even bigger problem I’ve encountered is filling a Ziplock with a powdered food, such as Nido ect.  and not being able to get a seal on the ziplock on about 25% of the bags. I then bought some cheaper store brand ziplock bags and rarely had a problem with them.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The Ziplocks are NG, often split at the sides, and are neither air nor water tight.
    But the heavier (freezer or storage) bags come in the pint sizes I need.
    And don’t see them on the target website.

For bagging individual meals, a ULINE sealer with their choice of heavy bag sizes works well. The sealer has a cutter attached to it to trim the sealed bag. Quick and light.
    Not so expensive considering the hundred of meals bagged.

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

My fix….   3/4″ wide by  2″ long reinforced straping tape folded over ends of the “zipper”.  It will out live the rest of the bag.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools