Topic

Olympic National Park – The Grand Loop in 4K HDR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Olympic National Park – The Grand Loop in 4K HDR

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael S
    BPL Member

@cascadebackpacker

Locale: Pacific NW

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_ns3p-W00

This was a 42 mile, 3-day backpack of the Grand Loop in Olympic National Park.

This route is featured in the book, “Trekking Washington” by Mike Woodmansee.

Here is a map of the route: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/map-aug-17-03-46-am-98d8a23?u=i

Day 1:  Obstruction Point to Lost Pass.  12.5 miles with 4530 ft elevation gain.

After driving up the popular paved Hurricane Ridge Road to the visitor center, I drove the ~7 mile forest road to the start at Obstruction Point .  The trail starts high along the scenic Lillian Ridge and then drops down to the Badger Valley to Grand and Moose Lakes.  I saw more people on this section up to Moose Lake than any other section of the route.  I then crossed over Grand Pass and Cameron Pass and made my way to Lost Pass.  The Grand Valley and Cameron Valleys are very beautiful.  I saw just one party of two in between Grand Pass and Lost Pass.  I got to Lost Pass just before 6PM where I set up camp. While there was surprisingly very little wind, it was a cold night and I awoke to a frost covered tent.  In fact my inner was partially frozen to my outer pyramid tarp.

Day 2: Lost Pass to Three Forks Camp. 17 miles with 2900 ft elevation gain

I dropped down from Lost Pass to the Dosewallips River Trail.  The descent from Lost Pass was steep but once I got onto the Dosewallips it was a nice forest walk.  I then took the Gray Wolf Pass Trail and made the ascent to Gray Wolf Pass.  The views up near Gray Wolf Pass were great and the descent after the pass was maybe my favorite part of the trip.  There was a nice waterfall, lake and valley.  Then it was a long descent to Three Forks along the Gray Wolf River Trail.  I met some wonderful people in camp that made the time there all the more enjoyable.

Day 3: Three Forks Camp to Obstruction Point. 12 miles 5230 ft elevation gain

I got an early start for the climb up to Deer Park.  From there I took the Obstruction Point Trail back to the start.  This trail follows a ridge up high where you have views of the Strait and views of the Olympic range in the other direction.

All in all, this was a great trip with a diverse landscape.  You get the high alpine, waterfalls, lakes, rivers, a “rainforesty” moss covered forest floor.  Technically, the rain forest is on the western side of the park.  Also, there was lots of wildlife.  It’s a rich ecosystem.  I’ll certainly be back to explore more.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

gosh, what a wonderful video! I’m feeling a little bit of heartache. Forty years ago I worked trail on the Hoh river. Different area of course but I was reminded of the time by the scenery in your video. Really stunning. I spent a lot of time out on the Peninsula but never hiked this route. It’s fantastic. Say what you will about maintained trails…they allow one to make miles and not have to worry about basics. I’d love to do this hike, but I’d take another day or two. The scenery is worth it. And I’m older. You were moving very well.

Merci beaucoup!

p.s. you lucked out (planned) on the weather. No bugs…!…? don’t tell anyone about this, by the way.

Michael S
    BPL Member

@cascadebackpacker

Locale: Pacific NW

Thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated.  The Olympics are truly wild and beautiful.  It’s been a few years since I’ve been to the Hoh with those massive trees.  I hope to go next year.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools