Topic

Olive Oil, Salami, and “Tiny Shrubs”: The Diet of an Extreme Mountain Climber

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Olive Oil, Salami, and “Tiny Shrubs”: The Diet of an Extreme Mountain Climber

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://www.bonappetit.com/people/article/jimmy-chin-meru-expedition-food

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten on an expedition?
    I’ve tried to eat little shrubs before. We were on an unsupported 20-plus day traverse, following the migration of endangered antelope across the Chang Tang Plateau. We were like, “Oh, this is what they ate; we should try it.”

You were just pulling shrubs out of the ground and eating them?
    Yeah. They didn’t taste too bad!

more at link

;)

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Im actually considering doubling or tripling up my usual olive oil dosage on couscous for the MTR to Whitney stretch of the JMT just for the best caloric density to weight ratio.  ie. one less snickers bar per day in exchange for more oil.  Saves lots of weight + space over the course of 8-9 days.  But damn…I might miss the snickers bars.   I’ll have to supplement with tiny shrubs.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I prefer clarified butter to olive oil. It serves the same purpose but it’s butter. Only issue is repackaging if you don’t need the full 8 oz.

Supplement with fire roasted marmot.

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

I bring coconut oil, to alternate with olive oil but also to use on sweet dishes. Much more healthy than snickers bars! (we also bring those but as a treat only)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Good olive oil could even make tiny shrubs taste ok :)

It has to be extra virgin, cold pressed and as fresh as possible. This is a great month to buy new olive oil as it should be no older than a couple of months . This thread just made me hungry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools