Topic

Old Loggers Path PA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Old Loggers Path PA

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gregory K
    Spectator

@gregkeller12

I’m planning on doing a trip on the OLP in two weeks.  We are doing two nights and one of the guys in the group is looking to take it easy, so we are only going to do the ~21 miles of the northern loop.  Anyone have up to date info on this section?

1. Is it possible to park in Masten?  I’ve read info that the road to Masten
    2. Is the connector trail between the north and south portions of the loop marked/passable?
    3. If you were only doing the northern loop would you go clockwise or counterclockwise?  Plan is to start about noon on day 1 and do 6-7 miles, 9-10 miles on day 2 and have 3-4 miles on the morning of the 3rd day.

Thanks for any help

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Greg – I’ve done the full OLP four times, most recently in October 2017.  I think I can help, at least a little.

1. There’s a nice parking area in Masten – DCNR has created a mini campground there with picnic tables and a couple of porta-potties.  There aren’t any amenities other than that (i.e. no water), but parking there isn’t a problem.  To get into Masten you’ll have to come in from the north on Masten Road.  Let me know where you’re coming from and I can give more details.
    2. I’m not sure what you mean about the connector trail between the north and south portions.  I’m pretty sure that you could walk the two or so miles on Pleasant Stream Road from where the trail crosses it on the western part of the loop back to Masten without any problems.  I think the road was washed out further to the west (but please note that I could be wrong).  I’m sure if you called the ranger’s office they’d be able to tell you if you could walk that stretch of the road.  As I recall most of that road was up pretty high above the stream so I can’t imagine it was washed out.
    3. Your hiking plan should work pretty well.  Starting in Masten if you hike counter-clockwise you’ll hit one of the prettiest campsites on the trail in a little over 7 miles where Yellow Dog Run meets Rock Run.  When I was there 18 months ago there was a lot of erosion on the “main” campsite along Yellow Dog but there was still room for 3 tents and two hammocks.  There are a couple of other sites near there (just look around) so that should work pretty well.  There’s a new shelter (3-sided AT-style) just past Doe Run, but that would give you a 10-mile day (but keep it in mind if you have lousy weather).  From Rock Run, day 2 will start with a 1-mile uphill along the old railroad bed to get the blood warmed up.  Then there are a couple of campsites along Long Run at around the 14.5-mile mark.  That would leave you around 4 miles (mostly along Pleasant Stream Road) back to your car.

PM me with your email address if you’d like more details or have other questions.  I can easily send you logs and photos to whet your appetite.  It’s a great loop and it’s where I’ve taken a bunch of people on their first trips.  I normally hike the whole loop clockwise from Masten – that gives me about a 10-mile first day to a really nice campsite along Pleasant Stream.  Another 10 miles on day 2 and we’re at Rock Run/Yellow Dog Run.  Then the remaining 6.4 miles or so on the third day back to the car.

In addition to the shelter at Doe Run, there’s also one at the top of Sprout Point Vista (around MP 22 if you have the DCNR map) in the southern section.  Both shelters completely caught us by surprise in 2017 – they still smelled new and I hadn’t seen anything about them being constructed.  That’s probably one of the downsides of hiking a trail you know well – you don’t investigate the “what’s new” as much as you would if you didn’t know the trail.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools