Topic

OHT Too Cold. Alternatives?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning OHT Too Cold. Alternatives?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I planned to take my kids (11 and 14) on a section hike of the Ozarks Highland Trail the week before Christmas. The ten day forecast is not looking good with temps in the low 20’s and snow possible. If this holds I’m going to cancel. I’m looking for alternatives with forecasted temperatures no lower than 30F. I would like it to be within 8 hours drive of Huntsville, AL. The real kicker is my kid wants a dark sky. https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#5/35.192/-87.935

Any suggestions?

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Big Bend NP looks just about perfect but it is an 18 hour drive from here :(

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

dark site finder is pretty interesting

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

The good news is that weather is looking better for out planned hiking days. For future reference, we were looking at the Ouachita Trail near Hot Springs, Ar and the Pinhoti Trial in Talladega NF for slightly warmer weather. Ouachita Trail has some darker skies. The Pinhoti is stuck between Birmingham, AL and Atlanta, GA.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools