Topic

Nunatak Skaha Down Sweater vs PHD Yukon Down K Series

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nunatak Skaha Down Sweater vs PHD Yukon Down K Series

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jose c
    BPL Member

@kamazeuci

Hi.
    I am trying to choose between this two down jackets.
    https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/yukon-down-pullover-k-series?osCsid=80unhglgq5lagdm8ho32ov5c73
    https://nunatakusa.com/skaha-ultralight/138-skaha-down-sweater-classic-version.html

Both are ultralight, have baffled box construction and just a short zipper (sweater-like)
    PHD does not disclose the fill weight, so I can’t compare it.
    PHD has 1000FP (EU standard), Nunatak 900FP
    Nunatak Skaha has Ultrashell (40 gsm)
    PHD Yukon has Pertex Quantum (28 gsm)

Both weight 350 grams but the difference of FP should mean that the Yukon should give more warmth for the same weight.
    But the difference in shell should mean that the Skaha should give more warmth for the same weight.

Is Ultrashell better (more durable, more water resistant, more vapor diffusion?) than Pertex Quantum, in a way that this add of weight should mean something positive?

Which one would you go for?

thanks guys

Jose

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

PHD has 1000FP (EU standard)
    I have really serious doubts about the honesty of this claim. IDFL might claim an FP of 1000, even though that is based on very dubious ethics, but the European standards shun the IDFL gimmicks and rate down with lower figures. In general, the IDFL figures are just marketing spin.

Cheers

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I generally like Nunatak gear and think they do really nice custom work, but I tried a Skaha one time and just didn’t care for it. I bought it used so take that into account, but I didn’t care for the sleeves and I couldn’t get the fit quite right (if you were buying new, this wouldn’t be an issue). It was also overweight by a few ounces (of course the original owner could have specified overfill or something else special). It was SUPER puffy though and would be really warm.

The PHD looks nice, but I take issue with them not providing fill weights for any of their gear. For some reason, even though I know they have no obligation to divulge that information, I feel like it is the right thing to do.

All in all, I think I would get a custom Skaha from Nunatak and get them to make you exactly what you want.

Another option might be Goosefeet Gear if you are looking for another option.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have owned both a Skaha and a couple of PHD pieces and a Gooses Feet Parka, they are all close enough to each other.

The PHD kit is probably a bit more refined but not by much.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools