Topic

North Lake to South Lake Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning North Lake to South Lake Loop

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Taylor D
    BPL Member

@riprock713

Whats up everyone, I am wanting to do the north lake to south lake loop in the sierras Sept 13-18.

I have ordered the map for that area, however I would really like to use the all trails app to navigate.  The only problem is that theres not an actual trail map on the all trails app ( unless its called something else on there) so what I’m trying to do is link all the trails on that loop, so far I have only got the piute pass trail which seems to be the first 8 miles.  If anyone knows the names of any segments along that loop it would be greatly appreciated.  Also any other info you can give me about the loop would be greatly appreciated.  From the map that I saw it looks like the whole loop basically runs along water almost.  Ill have to do more research to make sure thats accurate.  Thanks for the info.

Taylor D
    BPL Member

@riprock713

Also if anyone has another good GPS app that has that trail on it I would love to try it out, I do have a garmin in reach just looking for something to use on my phone that is a little easier.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

this loop is not particularly hard to follow. so unless you simply want your electronics to keep you company on the trail, I would suggest getting the Tom Harrison map of this loop and using it. yes there is a dedicated TH map for this loop called “Bishop Pass – North Lake – South Lake Loop”

I was on most of this loop a couple weeks ago, ( jct Piute Pass tr & JMT to South Lake trailhead ). it is a nice area. Evolution Lake is a great place to camp (I like south end). the climb up to Muir Pass heading south is not difficult. south side of Muir pass heading down has a few short trail sections that are destroyed by landslides but not hard to follow. the climb up from LeConte canyon to Bishop Pass is long with over 3200 ft of climbing. a couple great spots to break it up with a camp at 10,800 or 11,300 ft area.

water was not a problem on the JMT and Bishop Pass trail sections

have fun.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^yep, that’s a good map.

Gaia GPS is considered by pretty much everyone to be the GPS app of choice. Be sure to download your maps ahead of time so that you have maps stored for offline use. I believe you can find helpful advice and reviews of Gaia on Andrew Skurka and Adventure Alan’s sites.

Taylor D
    BPL Member

@riprock713

Awesome ! That’s good to know, guess I’ll be giving Gaia a try . Thanks !

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

here are some Caltopo route already drawn

https://caltopo.com/m/4Q2F

https://caltopo.com/m/295G

https://caltopo.com/m/V058

Taylor D
    BPL Member

@riprock713

Thanks Jason !!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools