Topic

North Country Trail Mackinaw City to Fife Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning North Country Trail Mackinaw City to Fife Lake

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Knight
    BPL Member

@kenknight

Locale: SE Michigan

On August 14 I am going to follow in the footsteps of people like Annie (HalfwayThrough the NCT), Joni Lynn Jeffery, and Joni’s friend Lisa who all hiked the the northern Lower Peninsula. Unlike them I am going to be going from Mackinaw City to Fife Lake. I fully expect it to be an exciting trip. I also expect it to be tough and only in part because it has been a very long time since I did a solo backpacking trip like this. I suspect the road walks while maybe fast while present challenges as I could easily walk by trail junctions. Of course, there is the big waterless stretch (I do hope that water cache is there).

I am not expecting to get help along the way but will be very appreciative if any comes my way. If anyone want to join me that’s wonderful too.

By the way, though I try not to let it define me and play to much of an outsized role in what I do I will note, for those that do not know, I am legally blind. I’ve done a lot of backpacking over the years but I’ve no doubt that my vision does affect me hiking. If I had normal sight I’d not worry about missing trail junctions (I’ve certainly done that before on the NCT and AT).

I expect to be in Petoskey on the 18th, Alba the 24th, Kalkaska the 27th, and done the 29th.

I do hope I will be able time, power, and signal permitting to post updates along the way.

Finally, I am going to thank Andrew MytyÅ› in advance for all the help and suggestions he has already given me.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools