Topic

North Cascade in Aug/Sept

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning North Cascade in Aug/Sept

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

I’m casting my nets far and wide for a epic trip this summer. The North Cascades is intriguing to me but I need some help and advice figuring out a plan for 10 day, no resupply loop of some sort. 12-15 mile days good for the Sierras but this looks more difficult. Moderate off trail OK.

Can anyone offer me some advice?  Thank you.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Check out the area around Glacier Peak, for sure. Stunning. Fewer people than Rainier. and speaking of Rainier, I always scoffed at it while growing up in Kirkland. After moving to CA. I finally returned and did part of the trail. Wow! It really exceeded my expectations by far.

The Olympics…are wet.

Katie Knaus
    BPL Member

@kmk189

My friend and I did a lollipop. Thunder Creek Trail to Park Creek Pass to Park creek trail to Old Wagon trail to pacific crest trail(bridge creek trail) then 6 miles of road walk on SR 2o(downhill) to Easy Pass, then Fisher Creek trail back to Thunder Creek Trail. this was Mid August. we did about 100 miles in 7 days. It was beautiful.

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

There’s a loop you can cobble together with various trails around Glacier Peak that seems perfect for what you’re looking to do. “Backpacking Washington, 3rd Edition” by Wilderness Press has a detailed write-up of the route. I think it’s just over 100 miles total.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Scott & Mark –  The Glacier Peak area sounds wonderful. I purchased the book that you suggested Mark, and I’m completely jazzed… That’s a serious contender for sure!

Katie, in my interest of casting a wide net, planning on trying for permits that encompass part of your hike as well.

Question about North Cascades permits. It appears the trip I’m planning is about 60% in the park, with going out of the park on the PCT and back in off of the PCT and back into the park the remainder. Do you need 2 permits or are they good with a gap in the 0schedule? Can’t find and answer online and can’t find a warm body to talk to. Suggestions?

Again, thanks for the help. Can’t wait for this one!

Katie Knaus
    BPL Member

@kmk189

we did our permits the day we started, and adjusted as we were able to get campsites. as long as they had an open campsite on that date, they let us cobble it together how we wanted. We did have to be at the ranger office early in the am. I think there were people who spent the night there.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Looks like we have chance of a permit for North Cascades NP, but honestly that Glacier Peak loop in the general vicinity is calling my name. Question – what should I plan for temperature range and precip for late August and early September? I’m thinking to plan for low of 30, highs 70-80 and rain always a possibility. Can you dial me in any better?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

You’re going at the near-best possible time in terms of avoiding rain. It can become very hot in that time frame, however. The last time I was in Stehekin, a few years ago, temps hit 100 degrees for several days. this isn’t uncommon. More normal temps are in 60’s-80’s. 30 degrees as a low would be freakish at that time of year–nights tend to be mild to warm.

Fires are the bigger concern. Smoke can be unbearable. And they’ve become an annual occurrence. So perhaps it would be wise to have a back-up plan in place. Otherwise, yes, you will love the area around Glacier Peak. It’s superb hiking.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Thank you jscott. Seems like I might be in the right temperature range, but perhaps it may be a little warmer… which is great and should save me some weight.

I do have a 30 degree down quilt and wondered if I should consider Apex instead. It seems like I’m worrying for no good  reason. Gonna go with what I got.

Next question: Is there any reason Esbit won’t work for cooking? I have the sweetest kit from Dan Y and that’s where I’m leaning.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools