Topic

North Carolina Hiking partner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips North Carolina Hiking partner

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

I am looking to do some spring backpacking in the North Carolina area. Thus far I have been told about a few areas via my other thread (see below) and some of them seem interesting. I’m pretty open as far as my calendar until May. I don’t have any issues with covering a significant distance, and if going with another party I don’t need to bring my dog if that is a preference.

Please PM me if interested.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-to-nc-and-looking-for-a-weekend-trip-for-spring/

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Bump still looking for a partner interested in partnering up for some backpacking out east.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Still looking for a Backpacking partner for the NC area if anyone is interested……

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

What area?

I’ll be heading to NC this spring and am looking for a good spot to do an overnight trip. I will be in Wendell, NC. Any suggestions??

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

I’m currently located in Eureka, NC but I work in Raleigh. I’m open to pretty much anywhere in the state to learn the territory. Mostly I have researched trips in western NC near Ashville.

stan c
    Spectator

@oblue

definitely interested, I live in FL but would drive up if looking for a longer weekend in the spring.

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Christopher… I have read your blogs seeking a backpacking pal and it is apparent that you are a younger guy, but thought I would respond anyway…I am 76 years old and have been backpacking for well over 60 years… I have hiked every trail in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, as well as long distances on the MST and AT, hundreds of miles in the Pisgah, Nantahala and Cherokee National Forests and other assorted trips to Slick Rock, The Cohutta Wilderness, etc…. My current habit is to hike in 5 to 8 miles, set up camp and spend 2 or 3 days trout fishing or exploring old abandoned trails.. My area of interest, over the past 20 years or so, is the Pisgah north of Morganton, NC… There are four major watersheds in the area (Steels Creek, Harper Creek, Lost Cove and Gragg Prong). The area is crisscrossed with many established trails and several abandoned trails that do not appear on any maps. My wife and I are currently living in Raleigh (to be near our grandchildren) and I have been anxious to find a hiking/camping pal in the area.  Being retired, I can, of course, head out to the woods anytime I choose.  Drop me a line if you are interested in meeting up and discussing a trip or two in the near future.   Jerry Cram   [email protected]

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Wow Jerry you’re my kind of guy.  I call that area the Pisgah Holylands and heck I just posted a late trip report on all the places you mentioned—

https://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/193107.html

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Jerry,

I’m not sure I’m a spring chicken at 43 but definitely junior to your 76 yrs young. I will reach out to you offline to discuss a trip that I am interested in and get your thoughts. If you were interested in joining me that would be great or if you can suggest a better trip as my first outing in the area.

Thanks

CG

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Chris,
    Thanks for writing me back. My wife and I have five (5) kids who are now 43 to 50. The youngest (your age) is my son Jay who is a Captain in the MP Corp of the US Army. He and I go backpacking as often as he can get away and, of course, he can hike circles around me. I’m still good for 6 to 8 miles a day with a full pack as long as the terrain is not vertical. May I suggest that you and your wife meet my wife and I for dinner one evening and get to know one another. I’d be pleased to share with you everything I have learned over the past six decades hiking in the southern mountains. Let me know if this works for you. Jerry      [email protected]

Dalton Cooper
    BPL Member

@dcooper

Locale: Carolinas

Hi! I’d definitely love to meet hikers and am super-down to get back on the trail now that the weather is getting warmer (generally draw the line when temps drop below 30 at night). I’m an Upstate NY transplant living in Charlotte these days and would love to learn as much as I can about backpacking, hiking NC, etc. from pretty much anyone. At 23 and a former college athlete, I can hike 20+ miles a day but would prefer not to unless it’s an emergency situation – somewhere in the 13-17 mile a day range is ideal but I can push it a couple miles in either direction if need be. Also am a high school math teacher, so have passed literally every possible drug and background check, if that’s a requirement of your hiking partners….

Uwharrie National Forest (Dutchman’s Creek/Uwharrie Trail loop) is my go-to when I’d rather spend a weekend backpacking than not but I also love when I can make it out to Nantahala, Pisgah, and the Smokies. Have yet to make it up to Cherokee or Croatan.

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Dalton… Thanks for responding to my post… Interesting you would refer to the Uwharrie/Dutchman’s Creek area.. I was there only two weeks ago and did much of that loop.  That being said, as you no doubt read, I am 76 years of age and, although in very good shape for my age, my 20 mile days with a full pack are far behind me. My current habit is to hike in 5 or 6 miles to a campsite, set up for two or three days and either day hike (to explore abandoned trails in the area) or trout fish…As you probably read, I have been at this “backpacking” thing for at least the past 60 years and have explored virtually every wilderness area in the southeastern US…including a small amount in the west and in Maine. I would certainly enjoy revealing to you some of my favorite spots in the Pisgah, Cherokee or wherever, but I cannot keep up with you on the long hikes. Let me know if you’re up to hiking short distances with an old guy and would like me to share some of the things I’ve learned over the years. Look forward to hearing from you… Jerry Cram, Raleigh, NC

Bruce Kolkebeck
    BPL Member

@cjcanoe

Locale: Uhwarrie National Forest

Come work with Uwharrie Trailblazers. We work on the 40 mile Uwharrie Trail. The group is made up of thru-hikers and weekend warriors who are from the localities surrounding the Uwharrie Forest. I have enjoyed working on the UT as my way to give back when I can’t make it to the AT. We’d love to have you all join us. The Uwharries are within an hour of four cities and you don’t have to fight snow in the winter.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/UwharrieTrailblazers/

Bruce Kolkebeck

Jerry C
    Spectator

@jcram

Bruce,

Interesting you would bring up the Uwharrie… About 2 weeks ago I started at Talbott’s, hiked south up to Camp 5 and down to Fern Valley, about 1/2 mile west of Camp 3… Then the next day I decided to day hike the 8 miles from there back up to Camp 5 then south on the Berkshire Mt. Trail to Hannah’s Creek and back up Robbins Branch…and finally back to Fern Valley… and along the way happened to run into a guy hiking the other way… We stopped and talked for a while and finally introduced ourselves… Guess what? it was Don Childrey!…What a coincidence, eh?… Anyhow, he was, of course, an encyclopedia of information about the Uwharrie…and a very nice guy to boot.

Jerry Cram

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

I can’t wait to get back on the trail. I have been sidelined by 3 weeks of travel per month for the last couple months along with a crushed toe that is now mostly healed. I will have to get back in touch with Jerry and get a trip planned.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools