Topic

Non Wicking Polartec Power Dry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Non Wicking Polartec Power Dry

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Polartec manufacturers many varieties of fabric.  You can’t always be sure each variety will perform in the way you expect.  I have attached a case study of one such instance that drove home this point.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfx726aihgu55mm/Can%20You%20Depend%20on%20Polartec%20PowerDry%20to%20Wick%20Moisture.pdf?dl=0

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

The video I attached may not work in the PDF.

You can play the video here:

https://youtu.be/pQGXx0KwgdU

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thank you!… Konseal is so busted as a base layer (smile).

I received an “error loading” message when I tried to play your video using the link above.

I can see your video by clicking the link in your pdf.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Did you try the YouTube link above?  I will tinker a little more with this.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I tried youtube link and it said “this video not available”

That is really difficult to test wicking, nice job

NoCO-Jim
    BPL Member

@noco-jim

Locale: NoCO

Thanks Stephen for the info, and sharing.  The video works in the Foxit pdf reader, FYI.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Stephen,

Arcteryx officially positions the Konseal, not as a baselayer (designed to wick water in liquid form), but as a mid-layer (designed to transport water in vapor form). Your tests validate the Arcteryx Konseal product positioning.

The confusion arises because Polartec officially positions Power Dry as a base layer and is not clear that combined “with hard face”, it changes the fabric’s characteristic to a mid-layer.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

At least one member of the Arcteryx staff (Gabby) is misleading potential buyers. That doesn’t surprise me but it does that their user reviews don’t highlight the Konseal’s inability to wick well.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi All: I changed the Youtube permissions, so perhaps the video link above will work.  It turns out I cannot tell because from any device I use to access it, Youtube knows I am the author and plays it. Can someone confirm that it now works?   I need to look into how to get links to work on this site directly from the pdf.

Hi Richard: I hear what what you are saying about this being positioned as a mid layer.  However, as pointed out in my write up, Arcteryx specifically lists wicking on their product description on their website.  Then, it is followed up, as you discovered, in the response from their staff. I see two issues here.  I bet that Acteryx has no idea that the Konseal does not wick.  I wonder if Polartec knows?  The other issue is that most consumers (including myself) generally consider Power Dry to be a wicking fabric and expect that aspect of performance.  The consumer cannot know that wicking is not available in this specific garment and probably any garment that has the Hardface treatment.  Now, if you are working so hard that you need a wicking mid layer, you probably need to rethink your layering decisions.  However, for my purposes, if the garment wicked, it would have made an excellent base layer for winter hiking.  When I purchased the garment, I fully expected it would wick effectively like every other Power Dry garment I have used or tested.  Fortunately, I purchased it at REI, so back it went.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Stephen,

Your video can now be accessed via the stand-alone link.

The most probable explanation as to why Power Dry with Hardface changes it characteristics to non-wicking is because the added Hardface polymer is hydrophobic vs the normal hydrophilic treated polyester woven surface found on PowerDry. Their product description says: Moisture-resistant outer face fabric.

I suspect that only a few people at Polartec and fewer at Arcteryx understand this product ‘s characteristics. Thanks to your excellent analysis, at least the BPL community now understands that the addition of Hardface changes Power Dry into a non-wicking fabric.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Here is another: Acteryx Fortrez.  Also, Patagonia sells an R-1 TechFace.  Probably the same or similar fabric. However, it is marketed  as a mid layer or outer layer. However, in the fine print, you find the following: The lofted hollow-core fibers of Regulator fleece insulation conserve body heat while allowing body moisture to wick uninhibited. 

Here is the Fortrez:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools