Topic

Non-Breathable Rain Gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Non-Breathable Rain Gear

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

Hey guys. I am very new to the UL world. My last few trips were painful and my UL hiking partners finally helped me to see how much more enjoyable hiking can be. My heavy wool and waxed cotton pants were not working so well. I’ve gotten myself down to the 12-13lb mark for both 20* and 40* setups. The final thing I’m trying to figure out is rain gear.

I used to use one of those packable cabelas sets, they seemed light until lately. After a buddies recommendation I bought one of those marmot super mica jackets. Think it weighs about half a pound. Then I saw LukesUL jackets and ordered the micro10 set. Since ordering I started to realize through researching, all of these jackets are WPB and you guys are basically done with that. From all the research I’ve been doing lately, no one has had good luck with any wpb jacket in a decent rain.

I then ( after waiting 3 months and losing contact 2 months ago) decided to cancel my order through Luke’s ( hoping I’ll get my money back). I then grabbed a bowl, some water, and my marmot jacket. Stuck the jacket over the bowl and poured some water in it. Didn’t take long for it to get wet beneath the jacket.

So here I am searching yet again, but everyone’s been using wpb so much lately, that’s all I’m coming up with. Does anyone have any experience with truly waterproof lightweight rain gear? One that caught my eye is the rain suit from LightHeart Gear. The silnylon approach I’ve seen in the past. My sil tarp have always kept my dry in the past, although I have heard others talking about misting through the tarp on heavy rains.

Now that you guys seem to be finished with the wpb approach, what are you looking at now? Or what do you use that works?

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

I lost interest pretty quick in WPB rain gear because of cost and other issues but I occasionally still carry my lightweight jacket and a pair of MYOG sil pants for overnighters or weekend trips where the weather is almost guaranteed to be precip free. We took that combo to Utah recently and it shed a few snow squalls nicely with the jacket doing double duty as my wind jacket. Got so cold at night I wore the sil pants too :)

Wanting something for trips with much more precip I went with a 20D Packa and used it on a very rainy ADK hike last year and I was very happy with it. One thing that I really like is that it keeps our packs dry. After dumping our packs we like to store them at the foot of our duplex and by keeping them dry no fear of water draining onto the floor at night. Also they hang pretty low on us so we didn’t feel the need for extra coverage below, at least in warmer weather. They vent like crazy and after replacing all the heavy bungee cord with lighter they are 8.32 oz.

When using the Packa I would carry my shelter on the outside of my pack so you don’t have to remove your rain gear to access the shelter while its raining. Although that may be a bit tougher if you don’t have a partner to help you like I always do.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

What do I use that works? An umbrella or a poncho.

I have an old GoLite Chrome Dome umbrella that recently protected me from three days of rain on a five day trip. No problems with sweating, good wind block, easy to store in a side pocket, easy to stash short term at the bottom of shoulder strap. My lower legs and feet get wet from rain – but they’d get wet anyway from wet grass, etc. I quickly got used to carrying an umbrella with one hand, swapping hands from time to time. “Hands free” umbrella schemes are a good idea in theory. In practice, I move the umbrella frequently to match the prevailing rain direction. I usually wear a Patagonia Houdini wind shirt for short-term rain protection when I need both hands. An umbrella also provides shade on hot sunny days. The “chrome” part is overrated. Several companies that cater to lightweight backpackers sell light, compact umbrellas, including the Chrome Dome under other names.

My other option is a silnylon poncho. Much more breathable than jackets. My poncho is big enough to cover me and the pack. A bit more hassle to manage than an umbrella, especially getting it off and on. Since switching to an umbrella a couple of years ago, I haven’t used the poncho. I’ll take it on day hikes when the forecast is iffy.

— Rex

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Many people including me are happy with WPB.  Not perfect but best over the range of conditions I experience.  Yeah, sort of expensive.  2.5 layer WPB tend to wear out quickly.

Dri Ducks are pretty good and cheap

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools