Topic

No HOKAs at REI?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) No HOKAs at REI?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

Just curious if anyone knows why REI removed HOKA shoes from their website as soon as the big sale started? I contacted their customer service twice, and stopped by my local REI store, and each time was given a different story as to what was going on. The basic gist is that no one at REI that I talked to seemed to know what was happening.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

All I know is that REI doesn’t seem to have much stock of anything, shoe-wise.  They said it’s been a problem during the past year.  I went into the Berkeley store, picked out several shoes to try on, and they had exactly none of them in my size.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Most likely a Covid related supply issue.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Covid has thrown sand into all the gears of commerce and indeed Life in general.

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

This is NOT a supply issue. It is a MAP issue, related to the 20% coupon.

I called the REI 800# about this the other day, and the rep told me that most Hokas were removed from the website because Hoka is one of the manufacturers who enforce a “Minimum Advertised Price” on all their retailers. Basically REI cannot advertise them at lower price than the MAP – and apparently someone decided that having them on the website when the 20% coupon could be used on them would violate the MAP policy, so they removed them for the duration of the sale. The rep assured me that REI has plenty of stock in the model I was asking about at least (Speedgoats, not sure about other models) and they would all be restored to the site after the sale is over. There are a couple clearance Hokas still there, presumably because MAP does not apply to clearance models.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Over the years I’ve noticed there are always many of exclusions to the REI discount – most GPS devices and bikes come to mind. Why not simply add the Hokas to the list of exclusions?

But over the past year or so I’ve noticed that REI has chosen to simply remove out-of-stock products from the website. This is definitely a post pandemic practice for REI for whatever reason.

Mathew MacDonald
    BPL Member

@kaymat

Locale: Alaska

I was at an REI today and a sales person told me Hoka was removed from the web page temporarily due to a supply issue.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

I talked to a friend who worked at both a large outdoor retailer and running shoe store and he assures me this is a MAP issue. I guess we’ll find out if, when the REI sale ends, all the HOKA shoes show back up.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

They have categories that are excluded, but not brands. There’s no reason they couldn’t put a brand in the exclusions.

https://www.rei.com/coupon#terms-and-conditions

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Was in the local REI today… full rack of Hoka.

Enyaw
    Spectator

@enyaw

I like REI, but have noticed a disturbing trend with their “sales.”  Specifically have been keeping my eye on a specific piece of gear.  Presale, the the price was around $175.  Once the sale/coupons were distributed, the price was around $215.  My numbers, while close, may not be exact.  Point is, the “sale” isn’t a sale and really just a shuffling of numbers to make customers, err members, feel like they’re realizing savings.  I know REI isn’t exclusive in this kind of retail gimmickry, but kind of would expect more from them.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I have become increasingly disenchanted with REI over the last year.Covid supply issues aside, the service at my local shop has been declining with the most common suggestion being “just order online and com back and pick it up.” The point of a retail store is to Leave with the item after shopping not to have to come back 3 days later and then have to play the exchange game. As of Thursday my local store had two sleeping bags and 3 tents on the shelves, yet there are items on the website. And as previously mentioned you never quite know what is covered by the sale.

This reminds me a lot of EMS and then one day they were gone from most of the east coast

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

These days REI is a “loyalty club” more than a co-op (I’ve been a member since 1974). It’s wise to be realistic about what it has evolved into and lower one’s expectations. Still, for its size, it has a bit of social conscience and that’s nice. Options are nice.

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Here we are the day after the sale ended and Hokas are now back on REI’s website. Looks like this was a MAP issue. :(

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The inventory seemed “off” at my local REI during the sale, but I did get some Moab Ventilators on sale at $87. That seems like a sale price to me. Lots of things were not in stock, lots of other things way overstocked though.

It bums me out that they don’t carry some of the things in store that they do online. Why not use local stores as online warehouses? Then people who like to shop in person can see the product. I wanted to see some Xero Mesa Trails. When REI started carrying the Xero Ztrail sandals and I saw them in person and was like Hell Yeah, these are great. I was really hoping to see what the Mesa Trails are like. Do they suck or are they Hell Yeahs? But the sales guy said they only sell those online. Bummer.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Many businesses are increasingly using local stores to fulfill online orders.  When you place an order at a website, the item might be coming from a large distribution center or it might be pulled off the shelves at a nearby brick and mortar store to ship out.  Sometimes that results in products not being available to people who want to come in and buy at a store.   Supply chain disruptions have not made anyone’s experience better.

It would also be very difficult for any store to stock every item that is shown on a company’s website.  That is the same with all stores, from Walmart to Target to BedBath to Cabela’s.  When I am surfing websites for products, I try to verify in-store availability before I make a trip.  Very often, an item has to be ordered.  REI is no exception.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools