Topic

No cook dinner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve been enjoying the simplicty of not cooking while backpacking for the last year or so. I basically snack all day on salty nuts, peanut butter, chile mango, fritos or pringles, honey stinger waffles, larabars, etc.

This plan falls apart when it comes time for dinner. Somehow I can’t bring myself to eat a substantial amount of the foods enumerated above at dinner time. So far my favorite dinner is seed crackers and real Parmesan cheese but I can only eat so much of it. I’d like to get more calories (and protein, ideally) in me at the end of the day

Any other ideas for no cook dinners? I’m not particularly interested in rehydrating neither so beans, tabouli and couscous are not really what I’m looking for.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Any other ideas for no cook dinners?”

Granola and Nido with dried fruit;  Pro Bars and other similar hearty bars, e.g. Pemmican Bars/Raw Revolution;  Chocolate;  Jerky;  Cheetos;  Just the Cheese (http://www.justthecheese.com/2oz-rounds) – these are really tasty, calorie dense, and come in a variety of flavors;  tortillas with nut butter packets and salsa packets.  Lots of other choices, but these are a few that come to mind.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Steak cut beef jerky (e.g. Kirkland brand at Costco) is very satisfying and meaty.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You could bake some big cookies…

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/26107/best-breakfast-cookie/   (I use this recipe for breakfast cookies, mixing in whatever fruit/nut ingredients I have on hand)

… and pair it with a protein shake.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

This Link

Amy has been doing this a long time, on long trips, all over. The link in her post takes you to the details.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for all of the responses!

Actually a protein shake and a whole grain cookie would hit the spot.

I don’t enjoy meat jerky (even though I eat meat) but I have been meaning to try soy jerky. That might be a savory option to go with my crackers and cheese.

And definitely thanks for reminding me about Amy’s post. Lots of good info there.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have become a fan of instant pudding on the trail.  Nido, cold/cool water and any add-ins you want and you have a great desert.  I have yet to have it be unappealing at the end of a long day.

Re: Nut Butter…I am very surprised at how good the PB2 powdered peanut butter tastes.  Add a (very) little water and stir.  Something like 20% of the fat of normal peanut butter so it cleans up with just water. Also comes in a chocolate version, and it mixes really well with things like oatmeal, instant pudding, granola, smoothies, etc.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Pudding is good.

I’ve made breakfast pudding with thai coconut cream powder (very high in fat, aka calories), chia seeds, coconut, almond slivers, and cacao nibs. My inspiration is Almond Joy bars. You just mix it all together and let it sit for 15 minutes while you pack up.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’ve made breakfast pudding with thai coconut cream powder (very high in fat, aka calories), chia seeds, coconut, almond slivers, and cacao nibs. My inspiration is Almond Joy bars. You just mix it all together and let it sit for 15 minutes while you pack up.

Now that sounds really yummy and doable for 2 meals a day 

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s pretty tasty! This is the powder I’ve used. Lots of yummy saturated fat  

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’m gonna have to get me some of that…thanks for that pic of ingredients.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Wow, sounds yummy.  Wish I had seen this a couple weeks ago, definitely would have made the cut for our upcoming JMT trip.  Too bad we leave tomorrow . . .  Oh well, there is next time.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Jello has a new “no artificial flavors, dye or preservatives” line of instant pudding sub-branded “Simply Good”.  Four different flavors.  This one is my new favorite…

I’ve used powdered coconut cream powder in my Thai Red Curry dehydrated meals, but never thought to use it in/as pudding.  Will have to experiment with that.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Mike Clelland’s Spud bomb-  instant potatoes with all the fixings, tailored to your taste. It is my go to no cook dinner, you can even pre-heat it in your pocket a couple miles from camp for a semi-hot meal.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@JCH

“I’ve used powdered coconut cream powder in my Thai Red Curry dehydrated meals, but never thought to use it in/as pudding. ”

Just to clarify, the coconut cream will need a thickener. That’s what the chia seeds in my recipe do with their gelatinous exterior.

Also, thanks for the pudding suggestion. I haven’t noticed that sub-brand.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Matthew – I figured the chia seeds were critical…slimy little buggers :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Cool. Just making sure!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I do a lot of tabouli.  Tabouli pro-tips:

• add dehydrated tomatoes and dried parsley in advance
    • add olive oil to the dry grain at home.  The grain will soak it up and leave no free liquid.  You can’t get more calories/ounce than olive oil.
    • add water 1-2 hours before you plan to eat it.  Sure it’s a few miles of carrying the half pound of water weight, but then it’s ready to go when you get to camp.
    • classic (tomatoes and parsley) is great but dehydrated onions, peppers, and/or garlic make for some variety.
    • if you don’t finish it all, it’s fine the next day.
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Since you’re looking for more calories and protein at the end of the day, bring Italian dry salami (which travels fine without refrigeration) and real bacon bits.  Sprinkle them into the instant mashed potatoes, tabouli, etc.  Or just have a few slices of the salami as an appetizer.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

David, do you use normally tabouli or instant?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Matthew, I think of it as the regular stuff.  Comes in a 6-ounce box at the grocery store.  Or from Amazon.  About $3-$4/box.  Instructions say to add cold water and let sit for one hour.

Bulk, cut bulgur wheat is certainly cheaper (Bob’s Red Mill offers it), but that calls for cooking it 12-15 minutes.

So I guess what I’m using is the instant version.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Depends on what you want to carry. I’m considering going stove-less and I think it can easily be done with “hunter sausage” (very dry, often smoked, shelf stable sausage which is very much salami like). They often come in perfect service sizes, so if you take a pack – just eat one at each meal or each dinner.  Packets/foil containers of liver/pork/chicken pate (often somewhat high calorie), tuna in packs (with mayo packets), fresh veggies (just for some variety in tastes) like radish, which maintain freshness without refrigeration for a good period of time.

In general – I HIGHLY recommend finding an International foods store in your area and spending some time there trying various items. This is the place I often go for tasty and very fun food options.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Cut it in 1/2″ rounds, put in ziplocs. I recently discovered this product

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Do you bring canned frosting or the kind in spray cans?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have a friend from New England that told me about Brown Bread. He said the “right way” to slice it is that you can opener both ends  and then push it out a little and use the can as a guide. Then you put the extra lid back on and put it in the fridge.

I could be wrong but I think he said they like it with beans on top.

I see it is around 65 cal/ounce. I usually shoot for a higher caloric density than that. Is it tasty? Maybe I should try some at home. :)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools