Topic

Newfoundland Routes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Newfoundland Routes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dave B
    BPL Member

@dmbyerley

Anyone ever try Newfoundland for Packrafting. Thinking about bypassing the permit process and paddling Parson’s Pond to Devil’s Bite then using that as basecamp. It seems about 10 miles on flat water, but likely against wind on one leg.  Anyone with experience in Newfoundland?

Breau
    BPL Member

@breau

Justin Barbour’s YouTube channel may have helpful ideas: https://youtube.com/@JustinBarbournlexplorer

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dmbyerley

Big thanks to International Appalachian Trail Newfoundland and Labrador (IATNL). They put me in touch with folks that have actually been to area in somewhat recent past. We shared photos, maps, and zoom calls. It is great to put  satellite maps to real pictures in very remote locations. So I have my route planned up Parson Pond, around Devils Bite, across the height of land to Upper Main River canyon.  Trip in August. Will post trip report.

Breau
    BPL Member

@breau

Looking forward to the trip report!

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dmbyerley

Total, epic  fail. 6 paddling/hike nights planned. Bags lost for 3 whole days by Air Canada. I had pants, 2 t shirts, toothbrush, iPhone and wallet. No boat, no tent, no pack.  When bags were delivered, torrential rain.  Made bog crossings quicksand. Creeks were waterfalls to ascend and mud made in it impossible, for me, to gain elevation with no trail.  Bagged original plan and rafted some lakes in rain and paddled ocean coves.  Miserable. Had one partly cloudy day, got in car and headed to Gros Morne and latched onto a gorge hike. Beautiful. Rained next two days.  Everyone said it was a very oddly wet August. Went Packrafting in Lehigh River last weekend. Guy on outing had spent an entire month in Newfoundland last year same time. Had great weather. Just bad luck and Air Canada …

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Oy – I’m so sorry that your experience was ruined by factors outside of your control.  I appreciate your posting without any swear words – It would have been easy t0 simply drop into the “I’ve planned this trip for more than a year and the airline screwed it up?” mode.

Keep the itinerary for another year…The geography won’t change but the transportation and the weather will.

Chin up!

-Kevin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools