Topic

Newbie Hammock Suspension Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Newbie Hammock Suspension Question

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I already have one draw cord channel sewn in the foot of the Costco down throw…was using it as a top bag for my kids in winter.  I could sew another channel, add corner tabs for shock cord…and I think that should do it?  Watching Shug it seems this is the primary way most underquilts are set up.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

@brawndo – the directions I received w/ my WB Eldorado say the same, and I’ve confirmed for my comfort, so most people do go w/ the foot end a bit higher.

Craig – if it was a footbox drawcord, that would be an”end” channel as an underquilt. Do another on the opposite end and this allows you to snug the UQ around you to reduce drafts blowing in between. Side channels are for the shock cord suspension and allow the UQ to be easily slid forward and back (head to foot) to get where you want it on your body. Same effect can be done w/o them by just loosening one end and tightening the other,  but it’s much easier (and can be done from IN the hammock) if you set it up that way. Def not necessary right off the bat.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Got you, thanks Ryan.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I usually keep my foot end a few inches higher then my head end when hanging. It keeps bodyweight from sliding down to the foot end too much and keeps me level in the hammock. It also eliminates calf ridge.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Out for another quick overnight, used my new hammock.  It was a fun, quick, cheap project.  1.9 ripstop, sewn channels, DIY Amsteel loops with buckles, 1″ webbing, and a Costco down throw for underquilt.

Again, I love being able to sleep right at the water.

That said, I don’t think hammock camping is for me.  While it’s really comfortable in one position, I don’t like sleeping in only one position.  I’m a side sleeper so I just end up feeling too limited on my back all night.

It’ll keep coming with me on local trips for hangs just like the one pictured, but only as a day chair/lounger for reading, writing, and birdwatching. Back to sleeping on the ground.

Thanks for the tips here folks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Did you try sleeping on your side? I’ve done that in a hammock without issue, you might give it a try if you haven’t already.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

With much bucking, thrashing, and swinging, I have managed to get to my side but it doesn’t feel very natural to me.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just checking: are you laying diagonally?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yes, diagonally.

So a side question:  How much of an issue is it if your gathering is uneven?  I sort of felt like the center might have been gathered a little too high before I whipped it.  I feel like I might not be getting the full real estate for this reason if that makes sense.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

It feels like I may have a center ridge that keeps the walls from cradling/coming up as high, especially when I lay straight when just lounging.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gathering is supposed to have a huge impact. I don’t remember how I did mine. Lately I’ve been using my wife’s hammock from Dutch which has the continuous loop going through a seen channel and my Hennessy which seems to have some unusual gathering happening. I think that is part of why I’m comfortable in the Hennessy despite the shorter length.

There are definitely tons of threads on Hammock Forums regarding the different folding patterns.

I think I folded my main hammock like an accordion just back and forth before whipping.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I can lay on my side with no problem in my Chameleon hammock.. As I often toss and turn thru the night. Though a lot less tossing and turning in the hammock then in my bed or on the ground.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m wondering if my gathering is inhibiting side sleeping.  Problem is, I don’t really have anything at home to hang on so it’s hard to make adjustments here. Maybe I need to devote a day to tinkering in the woods with different gathering styles.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

If it’s something you think you might really get into, you can make a foldable, movable hammock stand for around $100 (if I remember correctly). Might be nice to have around the house. I can try and see if I can find the instructions online for the one I made if you’d like.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I made a portable stand out of 1 inch  black pipe. It breaks down into 4 pieces for storage.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I can give you measurements and parts needed if you like.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

<p style=”text-align: center;”></p>

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

What a skyline!  Where are you?

Thanks for the tips guys.  No money for a stand at the moment, but I can ride over to the mountains to hang and tinker.  Will probably do it this week.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I like that stand @dirtbag. I’d love to get measurements/parts needed. Thanks.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Lol. Thanks. That picture is from work.. My building in NYC. I am home now, but tomorrow I will list the specs.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

There are a couple simple DIY hammock stands you can make, most for much less than $100.

1) Tripods w/ pipe – you build two tripods out of 2x material (I think they can be as small as 2×2) about 6-7’ tall, hang a 12-13’ pipe (cast iron, chain link fence rail, etc) from the tripod, and then hang your hammock from the pipe (s-hooks, eyelets, etc).

2) one pole system – if you have one good anchor (tree, fence post, porch post, etc), then you just need one more. Take a 5’ tall pipe (or stiff  broom handle) and guy it out w/ some really good stakes (like 12” pound into the ground stakes). Now you have a second anchor point.

3) the Tensa stand – this is pure geometry wonderfulness :) I’m not gonna try to describe cuz pics do much better. search “wood tensa hammock stand” and see a ton of ideas. 

These are mostly guyed out at both ends. There are free standing versions too.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Did a little searching and came across this good compilation of some standard options.

https://www.outsiderush.com/diy-portable-hammock-stand/

The one I called a “Tripod w/ pipe” is called the “Turtledog stand” apparently.

Tried posting from my phone in that first reply but doesn’t seem to be there. So here’s a pic of my “one-pole stand”. This actually uses a broom handle walking stick I’ve started carrying instead of trekking poles, which are all but useless on flat FL ground. The anchors are “Big Orange Screws” I got off Amazon.

Found a picture of the free-standing “Tensa” style stand also. This one is pretty slick cuz it doesn’t need all the guy lines to keep it up right. here’s the actual post on HammockForums.net where the builder details it. Doesn’t show it in this pic, but he did strap the “feet” together going side to side so they wouldn’t slip out.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/158149-XX-folding-hammock-stand

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Neat stuff Rudy!

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools