Topic

New York Camping Location Suggestions Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring New York Camping Location Suggestions Needed

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I’m on Long Island, NY and looking for campsite/route suggestions in the Hudson Valley, lower Catskills. I’ve run into some barriers that suggest I’m either over-thinking this or not looking in the correct place. The optimal trip involves safe-to-ride- on roads and access to a free campsite. I’ve looked on RidewithGPS, Reddit etc and either the routes involve very busy roads, involve parks with fee$ or (in the case of Harriman) would require hiking the bike up rocky trails a mile or more to a designated camping spot.

NYS MultiUse Areas allow for free primitive camping, but I’m just not familiar with them. For example, Shawangunk Ride State Park allows camping but Google satellite isn’t so helpful in determining whether the terrain is suitable.

I’m hoping someone can offer some suggestions. Thanks

{Just realized Bikepacking means many things to many people. My intent is to ride on the roads paved and unpaved on a road bike equipped with fat tires)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools