Topic

New Years Eve camping in n.e. Ohio

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New Years Eve camping in n.e. Ohio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Robert n
    BPL Member

@bobbydneuman

Hi, I am planning on doing a short hike and overnight camping trip with my son on New Years eve. I have more gear than necessary including a go lite Shangri-la 5,  that I put my own stove jack in ,an extremely light titanium cylinder wood burning stove (10 in. Round, by 18 in .long with 3 in stovepipe ) the stove and tent weigh less then 8 lbs, not using inner,bug screen and bathtub floor but have frog tog ponchos taped together for a floor.

My question does anyone know a place we can go at reasonable distance? I have heard they have winter camping (llimited) at Mohicon forrest? I would appreciate any help, I  live in Cleveland and it seems everything is so far away or closed for winter thank   bobbyd

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

How far is “reasonable”?

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

If you would be interested in a few hour’s drive, I can tell you about the Allegheny National Forest.

Anthony Lutton
    Spectator

@eagle923

At Mohican there is the normal state park campground “Camp A” and a more primitive “Camp B” that are both pay areas and have limited availability during the winter.

There is also a less well known set of 10 sites called “Park and Pack” in the surrounding state forest.  See: http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/mohican#tabc2b

My brother and I have used these for years and love them.  During the warmer months they are typically full by Friday morning/afternoon but in the winter we’ve rarely had a problem.  Sites 7,8,9,10 don’t have easy access to water so you’ll need to bring your own.

___

Also, if you don’t mind the drive there is always Zaleski State Forest backpackers trail.  Two of the camps are only 1-2 miles from a parking area.  http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/zaleski

Both of those are free and a lot of fun.

Robert n
    BPL Member

@bobbydneuman

Thankyou all for your insight. I seem to be most interested in the “10 sites” park and hike in the forest next to mohican? Can anyone fill me in on how to get there. ( explain it to me like you would an 8 year old) I am afraid my old age “65” makes it easier to understand that way! Thankyou all and best wishes for the new year,  I am hoping this will be a very memorial one for me. God bless you all

Anthony Lutton
    Spectator

@eagle923

Robert,

Take a look at the BackpackOhio site: Mohican Park and Pack BPO

I bought the PDF a few years ago and its wonderful imo.  I’m not sure if its been updated (a few routes have changed slightly with forest management) but its easy enough to find all of the sites with the map and directions.

If you can’t figure it out, contact me through PM and we can talk or email further.

Robert n
    BPL Member

@bobbydneuman

I really appreciate all of your help, and with God’s grace I will take the trip to Mohican,  just not as soon as I had hoped for!

I suffered a miner stroke and even though it was miner I have to be eXtra careful., so next month my dr. Is going to do blood tests just to make sure the medication is doing what it is supposed to be doing. After that I  will make new plans..thanks again for all your help and I may call upon you in the future for more.          Yours very sincerely Robert neuman

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools