Topic

New winter tent for 2.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New winter tent for 2.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Murphy
    BPL Member

@stu_m

I’ve used an older second arrow (PU fabric) and there is plenty of adjustment. Not sure that I noticed that as a problem. I would say it’s not possible to get the vestibule perfectly taught by nature of the cut/design but probably good enough even on non-level ground.

Maybe that’s what people are talking about?

The Minaret pitches tighter by design. It’s very well cut. That gap has probably narrowed now with the use by WE of fully siliconised fabrics (and the elasticity that brings)

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

Thanks for the reply.
    Looking around at all the tunnel offerings, the 30D version of the WE First Arrow offers a compelling compromise between weight, strength, volume, and functionality. I’m surprised that it doesn’t get more love (here).

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Don’t expect anything exciting, innovative or good from Macpac with the new ownership. I’d love to see the products designed and sewn by people who actually use the gear but it isn’t going to happen.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Comments from people who actually HAVE one of the new Olympus tents might be even better. Yes, I do have one. It seems fine to me.

Cheers

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Yes Roger I have a newish Minaret [ 4 YO/ 3 winters now] but that is a product that Macpac have been making and tweaking for decades.

However I don’t think there will ever be anything actually new and worthwhile in the future.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I don’t think there will ever be anything actually new and worthwhile in the future.
    Everything which could be invented has now been invented.
    (source – I forget)
    That would be sad.

Cheers

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Roger I was referring to the new owners of Macpac, not gear and technology over-all.

SuperCheap Auto group is [ in my opinion ] going to use the Macpac name to shift large quantities of cheap bulk crapola at the highest possible retail margin. A real shame too

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Ed

Dear me. I had chatted with Mouton Noire when he owned Macpac, but I had not bothered to track where the company had gone after that.

The original Macpac ‘died’ when the cost of having their gear made in New Zealand’ became so high that they simply could no longer compete with Asia. I think Mouton Noire was using workers in the Philipines (or was it Vietnam?) to do the sewing for a while.

But before writing Macpac off, let us see what the new management make of it. To be sure, they have all of Rays to handle as well, and that was not a high end outlet. I guess the question is which path SCA want to follow. The short term path is to burn up the value of the Macpac brand over a few years until it descends to the K-Mart level and then let it die. The longer term path is to install a good mgr with instructions to keep the quality high. Less profit in the short term, but a longer lasting business. I have no idea where they will go.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools