Topic

New UV LED to be ready in about two years, I hope.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique New UV LED to be ready in about two years, I hope.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Good news! http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2017/03/group-blazes-path-efficient-eco-friendly-deep-ultraviolet-led

UV is a good way to treat water and as light as any filter. The largest weight penalty is the spare batteries needed on longer trips, since they only last about two or three weeks. With a LED producing UV-C, longevity can be greatly increased. I would guess a minimum of 3 times. The LED produces the same band of disinfecting UV light and at a 12% efficiency! Yup, you read that TWELVE PERCENT! And, they are typical doped electronics. Not the power guzzling mercury bulbs currently available with the largish starting draws.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The Cornell Spin Dept is boasting. UV LEDs have been on the market for some years now. To be sure, the early ones were very weak, but recent developments have been much better.
    They are quite feasible: all that remains is to increase the efficiency and decrease the price. That is inevtiable.
    Nonetheless – yes, they are coming.
    (Yes, I am monitoring these developments with great interest, and so are others.)

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools