Topic

New thread in gear did not post for some reason?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports New thread in gear did not post for some reason?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

I tried to make a new topic in the Gear forum and it wouldn’t post for some reason?   There was nothing offensive, personal, controversial or the like about it.

This is the text of the OP:

Graphene is starting to be added to polymers like nylon and UHMWPE.  One such brand is Kyorene. For example, you can get safety gloves made out of UHMWPE infused/embedded with graphene under the above brand name. The company claims that it ups the tensile, Young’s modulus, etc strengths (research on this seems a bit more mixed).  Besides that, UHMWPE oriented fibers already have an extremely and unusually high thermal conductivity for a polymer material that is more akin to metals than it is regular polymers (whether nylon, polyester, cellulose, etc).

Meanwhile, graphene is one of the most thermally conductive materials known to humanity period. Makes copper and silver look thermally blocking in comparison.

Hence, the combo is likely to have a rather high overall thermal conductivity.  The other upside to infusing UHMWPE with graphene is odor reduction.  The former being a form of PE with very, very low moisture regain and low surface energy, much like polypropylene and to a lesser extent-polyester, it would tend to attract and facilitate the growth of odor causing microbes the most.

But the graphene would change this and make it more anti microbial (especially if any is close to the surface of the fiber).  At least, this is what the company that makes Kyorene claims and I have no reason to doubt them since electrical charge is involved with the whole odor-microbe issue at a core level.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

I’m going to try again with a different subject title. Maybe there was something in there that got flagged for some reason?

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Apparently it had something to do with the subject title.  Not sure what, but I tried again with a different title and it posted.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

i think the site was down for a few minutes….you probably tried to post while the site was down….

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Oh..thank you for the head’s up.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

What happens if a sliver of that stuff penetrates your skin? Unless it breaks down somehow, it seems like it could go anywhere it wants?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools