Topic

New Tarptent Aeon Li

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Tarptent Aeon Li

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 131 total)
  • Author
    Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

<h3 class=”av-special-heading-tag “>There is a short video on the Tarptent website (under the “What’s New section).</h3>

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

One pole.  One pound.

Got my attention.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

“One pole.  One pound. Got my attention.”

My attention as well….looking forward to more information

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The  full details should be out next week.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Here’s the link.   TT you have my attention

https://www.tarptent.com/whats-new/

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

from that link

Announcement coming Dec 10 , 2018

(nobody tells me these bits…)

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Wow.  They’re really embracing DCF now.  My gear geeky-ness is saying, “Yes yes yes!”

My wallet is saying, “No no no!”

LOL

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

That 11 sec clip is not informative…it’s just cruel!  :)

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

It worked ;-)  Pain before pleasure but you’ll see it all tomorrow (Dec 10).

-H

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“That 11 sec clip is not informative…it’s just cruel!  :)”

Come now, that’s not completely true. It certainly seems to be a single-person shelter from the sleeping pad. Also, you can see the inflation valve on the pad, so that opening looks to be more of a vent, kind of like the vents on the Moment DW. Also, look at the stresses on the fabric from that opening, that should tell folks who make their own shelters something (not me, I don’t know anything about making shelters).

Also, one pole doesn’t necessarily mean a trekking pole, so could be a bit of subterfuge there. :-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Forgive me, but I thought that video was either useless or stupid. Apart from suggesting some CF fabric, it was totally null-content.

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Gosh Rog, since it’s simply a teaser, and not really designed to have any real content, I think your comment was pretty stupid, Or useless, take your pick.

Cheerio.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

C’mon Roger.   That was unnecessary and rude.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The way it is capitalised , it could in fact be one Pole.

So maybe a double shelter. For you and the Pole.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

BTW Roger, since you are here, it isn’t very well known but Todd Bibler did design a tunnel tent as well.

I can’t find a photo of it but it did exist, so I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive him for designing those other poles inside tents.

(some did have Poles inside too…)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m slightly bummed because It looks like this one is designed corner struts as well. I get the advantage of using them but I cannot imagine purchasing a shelter that has little poles in the end after my Contrail and Notch. I don’t like how they work in a small, frameless pack and I am not willing to pull the struts out and stash them separately. I’m just one data person and only one data point but the only TarpTent I would buy today is the ProTrail because of this issue.

That said, I am excited to see the release tomorrow. I admire Henry’s creativity and attention to detail. I think TarpTents hit a real sweet spot of price/performance/value.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Did I actually see the video? I don’t know. All I saw was a view of the peak, which dissolved into the name. I will stand by my comment of ‘null-content’ for that video – it was not even clear that it represented a shelter of any sort.

Or have I been deceived and missed another video with more content? Matthew mentions ‘corner struts’, Doug mentions sleeping pads – where? What have I missed? It would be a joke if I was looking at the wrong thing!

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Roger, you saw the correct video. There is certainly a pad in the shelter in the video, looks like one of old thermarest prolites. But you might have to step down from your lofty perch to see it…. :-)

You really seem to miss the idea behind ‘teasers.’ I’d liken this video to the invites Apple sends out before their major press conferences. Nothing to let you know what will be announced, just something to build a bit of pre-announcement buzz/excitement. Judging from pretty much every other poster in the thread, I’d say they got it, and enjoyed it.

And, I didn’t take issue with the ‘null-content’ bit, it was the (as Ian rightly said) unnecessary snark that accompanied it. So I’ll also stand by my comment that your comment was useless or stupid. (Actually, I think and, not or).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I will grant you that there was a corner of a pad showing, but there was no way to tell how it was fitting inside, or what it was inside of.

This was what you call a ‘teaser’? Fair enough. But my own opinions are not changed by the name used. Would it encourage me to lay down a deposit? Not likely. Would it encourage me to search for further information? Not Likely.

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Can anyone guess what this is ?

It was a teaser from Carl Zeiss a few months ago.

A few day after it was followed by this :

the peculiar part was that many forums were buzzing with speculation about the product specs .

The camera will not be out till mid next year, still folk know that it is coming .

Of course some , VERY few , did get their knickers into a not but most thought it was a bit of fun.

BTW, it will look like this :

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Some cultural disconnect here today.

In Australia, a teaser goes like this.

A crocodile bites you in the arse, and the croc says, “I’m going to bite you in the arse tomorrow, and that’s what it’s gonna feel like, OK?”

And the bitten says, “Right, good on ya mate, see you tomorrow with a new pair of pants!”

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

☑️ Did LOL

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

On a sad note, Roger The Ripper died today aged 12 .

not a roo to mess with..

Roger demonstrating how he could hug you.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

As male kangaroos in the wild usually only last a decade at most I guess that is a ripe old age.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

The proper way to announce a new product, of course, is to trickle out the story in a five-part prolix series, recounting every musing and fussy tinkering of bits in excruciating detail. Throw in some graphs too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 131 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools