Topic

New Rab Merino + 120 Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Rab Merino + 120 Hoody

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I just noticed that Rab has introduced a hoody made out of their 120g/m Merino Plus fabric (a blend of Merino and Polyester). My only complaint (other than the high price that all high end merino seems to command) is that it is only offered in Black and Navy. I would prefer some lighter colors for use in warmer weather.

https://rab.equipment/us/merino-120-hoodyhttps://rab.equipment/us/merino-120-hoody

I used the Rab Merino Plus 160 hoody in Alaska last year and wore it day and night for 14 days straight. I haven’t used any of their 120g/m stuff, but I am pretty sure it is identical to the Patagonia Wool 1 that I have a few pieces of.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

That looks very nice for a wool blend hoody. Outdoor research also has the alpine onset hoody which is 83 merino/12 nylon/ 5 spandex. Slightly thicker weight fabric I assume though as it weighs 1 oz more (if they both use large for the sample). Kind of an in between for the RAB 160 and 120 hoodies.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/mens-shirts/mens-baselayer-shirts/mens-alpine-onset-hoody/p/2681281345009

Cool stuff for sure. Lots of temping products for when I retire my Cap4 Hoody..

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

check out the Adam’s apple on the Rab model.

I like these type garments and my 100% merino top developed holes and had to be tossed.  BUT: I have other layers (including a Patagonia R1) that will do the job. So I’m not going to indulge my materialistic desires this time.

I don’t take either the merino or the R1 backpacking in summer; they’re for winter day pursuits when weight isn’t an issue. Or around town.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I’m curious if this would be warmer than the new Kuiu fleece currently being discussed??

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I doubt it. The Patagonia Wool 1 baselayers I have are cooler than the Ibex 150wt shirt I have.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

It looks like it’s cut too baggy through the torso to wick sweat effectively.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Here is my 160g/m hoody last year in Alaska.  It’s a Medium and I am six feet tall and at the time I was probably ~158lbs.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

anyone carrying the 120 hoody?; see a few places carrying the 160- no one that I can find with the 120

thanks in advance

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

from Rab- discontinued :(

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I thought the 120g hoody was brand new!

Do they still sell the 160g hoody?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

so did I???  I believe so, or at least I see it for sale in a few places

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The 120g hoody is new, it’s just completely sold out.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

my email from Rab where I inquired when they would be available again, said “sorry, but it’s been discontinued”

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Ah, sorry. I should have read your post a bit more closely. My bad.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well maybe they’ll see all this attention and say “wait a minute, put it back in production!” :)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Hopefully it was a mistake and they are not discontinued.  I would love one in a lighter color.   I really like the 160 hoody I have.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

It’s just weird that it’s still listed on their own website as a new product.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

the Sitka merino hoody is just my idea (that I hope they take me up on)- they do have a lightweight merino crew and ziptop- Merino Core Lightweight, just no hoody (yet anyways)

now they do have a lightweight hoodie base layer (synthetic) that is very nice, I use one on day hunts or shorter 1-2 night trips, it’s their Core Lightweight hoody

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools