Topic

New Plastazote 1/4″ Thick Foam At Owareusa, 10% off for BPL Readers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals New Plastazote 1/4″ Thick Foam At Owareusa, 10% off for BPL Readers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Got a pallet of 1/4″ thick foam for sleeping pads, sit pads, ground moisture protection, inflatable pad protection

Add R1+ to your sleep system

five sizes from 20X40 to 40X80″ sizes

For example get a wide torso length 27×40″ one to keep your elbows warm! 4 ounce and $21 shipped

even cheaper with coupon code   backpackinglight april

Owareusa

foam 1/4

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

It is good that more options like this are popping up. Any reason you decided to offer Plastazote vs Evazote? Evazote seems the more durable material for this type of use, but I am interested in your reasoning – I picked up a bunch of minicell T200 (for pads) and T600 (for pack parts) which seems very nice as well.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Plastazote is a touch lighter for the warmth, less toxic. Lasts fine as a sleeping pad. I have one from the 90’s still going strong and have been offering them for sale since then and have had no complaints. The original use was for padding in oxygen bottle tank bags I made for small aircraft. It works well for that too.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I can appreciate the toxicity aspect, I did some research before making the choice, and by and large most people were not overly concerned with the health impacts (EVA formamide content), but I found both the specs for each (EVA vs PE) to be acceptable for the purposes I wanted it for, with the EVA being just a tad more durable (spec-wise). Either way, glad to know you have some if I need more!

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks Dave! just in time

Sloan
    Spectator

@gingersnap

Can you provide a link to a video that would show how flexible this is? Mainly wondering how it would pack and hold shape with folding or rolling.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Too stiff to fold. Rolling works well.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

@gingersnap You can turn any reasonable closed-cell foam pad into a folding pad with some simple DIY magic. Ray Jardine even sells kits and instructions, though you need to buy a few items locally:

https://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Ray-Way%20Sleeping-Pad%20Kit/index.htm

The basic idea isn’t radical – razor knives, straight edges, and duct tape. I haven’t tried this yet, maybe soon.

— Rex

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Dave, is the Plastazote actually white, off white or light gray?

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Dave, is this material effective in preventing sleeping pad slippage (especially on DCF floor)?  Thanks!

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

this thickness is white, the only color I could get for the long 80″ length.

It is not slippery at all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools