Topic

New Patagucci R2 hoody, etc. coming in August.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Patagucci R2 hoody, etc. coming in August.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

So Patagonia has broken tradition and is coming out with a patterned thermal weave R2 hoodie. Supposedly warmer and still breathable. But still spendy.

Federico Calboli
    BPL Member

@fedster9

Link or did not happen.  Also, basically all gear is in the x-gucci bracket.  Unless you hike for a living it is (extremely nice) hobby.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

This may be what Eric is referencing: https://www.outsideonline.com/2408823/patagonia-fleece-r1-air-upgrades  It is an addition to the R1 line: the R1 Air.  The Air will have a fuzzy instead of hard exterior.  Of the several online comments I’ve seen, none have indicated that there will be any increase in price from the conventional R1, so pricing may be about $159.  The original R1 products will continue in the Patagonia line as well.

Renais

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I personally love the R1 line. Even the pants, though i wish they sold them in black also..

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

My R1 Hoody is my favorite piece of clothing – just perfect for high mountain weather.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Re: “Also, basically all gear is in the x-gucci bracket. Unless you hike for a living it is (extremely nice) hobby.”

Frederico,
    All is not lost. Patagonia has frequent online sales, particularly around black fridays, but at other times as well. An M-10 rain jacket that retails in the $350 range cost around $250, pricey, but it actually works, unlike many other waterproof breathables that are often the subject of complaints on BPL. It has lasted me over 10 years and looks like new with no washing (when worn, it is being rained on). Once they have a purchase, they send the buyer postcards for every sale – the February sale will begin shortly.
    Also, there are a number of Patagonia outlets in the USA that have frequent sharp discounts.

Yvon Chouinard founded Patagonia to create a separate business selling other than climbing gear. Besides being an accomplished climber, he is anything but a snob. Still have a handwritten letter that he sent me in response to a gear inquiry. And the item I sought was added to their next catalog. Not to say that when the company is taken over by newbies it will remain as user friendly. The idea that newbies should have no compunctions about changing the face of institutions has become popular in these populist times. At one time we could rely on institutions and respected them.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Any experience with R1 Air yet?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools