Topic

New OR Helium waterproof?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New OR Helium waterproof?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Does anyone know how waterproof the new OR Helium with the diamond fuse is?  Thank you.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

I have one and used it last September on a hike of the Northville-Placid trail in the ADKs.

It only really rained during the day on the first day of the trip – and after hiking for 4 hours in a steady rain much of the jacket had completely wetted out. I don’t think it actually leaked (the inside surface was dark – you could see through the membrane layer that the outer fabric was soaked), but I remember thinking that if it rained for several days straight, which is not that unusual for Sept. in the ADKs, I might be in trouble. Fortunately it was dry for the rest of the trip and the jacket dried out.

I love the light weight, but I just don’t trust it when there could be multiple days of rainy weather and 30-50 degree temperatures. We are heading to the Wind River Range this September and my Arcteryx Beta LT hybrid is coming along.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Thanks David.  How was the breathability?  So it is much more of a day or weekend hike jacket then when you don’t think there is going to be much rain?

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

I don’t recall noticing anything remarkable or particularly bad about breathability (compared to any other WPB rain coat) – at least until it wet out, and even after that I don’t think I was soaked with sweat inside – just damp, which everything is anyway when it is raining on a hike. I think the temperatures the afternoon it wet out were maybe in the low 50s? I tend to run cool anyway and the ADKs NPT is not the most strenuous trail.

I will definitely be limiting its use to weekends and a “game-time decision” on longer hikes where the forecast doesn’t call for multiple days of rain and/or temperatures are more benign.

Every time I stare at my gear list the rain jacket comes up as a place where lighter options might be available. I read reviews on the older helium that also noted the previous material wetting out and the pertex shell membrane even leaking (perhaps they have improved the membrane layer in the new version?) – but finally couldn’t resist the potential weight savings. Maybe others don’t mind it wetting out. I have no experience with other light weight rain shells (like Montbell’s Versalite). Plenty of thru-hikers seem to use them. Maybe they all wet out like that and thru-hikers just have a higher tolerance for misery. Although mine did not leak – my concern is that if the fabric wets out so quickly – and over time the membrane wears thin spots or cracks – it will start leaking.

On the good side – I liked the fit (for me) and the feel of the material. I liked it better than several editions of the old Marmot Precip I had years ago – they seemed to de-laminate and leak after one hiking season.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I’ve had one for several months.  Wet-out is pretty fast – maybe fifteen minutes – in anything more than light drizzle, but the water doesn’t penetrate so you’ll stay as dry as is possible underneath…so if you sweat a lot or hike in humid areas you’re in for a clammy experience because the breathability is only so-so.  If you don’t perspire much and/or live somewhere other than a slightly-mountainous swamp, however, you’ll be okay.  I don’t really like it that much in hot weather because it’s basically a greenhouse, but it’s fine for a rain-proof layer in shoulder seasons when I can hike in a light base layer.  Durability seems acceptable, so far; it rides around in my daypack constantly, and there’s no appreciable damage after…oh, eight months or so (and I’m not careful with it).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I had an older Helium and it performed just like what David used.  In fact I’ve had several similar jackets like an older Mont-Bell Versalite, and a Marmot Essence and they all were ineffective in all day rain.  I think they are OK for an hour long Sierra thunderstorm, but if you really want a jacket to keep you dry in all day rain, I think Gore-Tex is still the best option.  I have to that see general use – a Haglofs Ozo pullover that is 2.5L Gore Tex Packlite.  I have to re-apply DWR a couple of times a year as it’s old but only 7.5oz and has a great hood.   My favorite shell for all day rain is a Montane Spine Jacket that is a 3L Gore Tex, has pit zips, has a 30d face fabric, and is still only 10 ounces.

I’m not a fan of Gore’s business practices, but in my experience nothing works as well in the field.

TJ
    BPL Member

@traffic-jam

I recently purchased the OR Helium and was disappointed.  In a steady rain, mid March, SE US, my tech tee was more than damp but not wringing-water-out soaked.  With the rain and cool temp, I felt the beginning of hypothermia and debated abandoning my hike.

The only thing going for this jacket is the weight.  My less expensive and heavier Marmot Precip performs better in similar conditions.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I always try a new wp jacket in the shower before taking on a trip. (I have had some in the past leak at the seams… new jacket!!!) This OR jacket wetted out in about 10 minutes. I was not soaked, but very damp. My judgement is it will only get worse with the friction of a backpack for hours on end. I returned mine to REI for a full refund.

The only way I could justify this jacket might be… might be…. for day hiking with a fanny pack and emergency use just to hike out of a bad situation.

DWR D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools