Topic

New MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking New MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Anybody seen them?

the big change seems to be yet another new binding system and I wonder how it looks/works?

I’ve had tow pairs in the past ten years and still think they’re the best out there, but wonder if they’ve addressed a couple other glaring weaknesses:

Are the decks made of a more durable material? Are they shaped such that the bindings don’t gradually tear up the inside edges when they pivot as you walk?

One last thing: the “crampons” under the balls of my feet have been prone to breaking and bending… any improvement there?

Oh yeah… has anybody seen a bargain anywhere yet? They’re brand new so I doubt it, but it’s worth asking, eh?

Thanks!

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hmm.  That new binding looks questionable to me.  What if your boot doesn’t fit the shape of that unadjustable toe thing?  What if your feet are longer and you need to slide a bit forward to put the ball of your foot in just the right place?

Link.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

https://www.backcountry.com/atlas-snowshoes-treeline-snowshoe

ive been really happy with these Richard, if you haven’t crossed them off your list yet they’re worth checking out.

i run 3-4x a week up our ski hill in winter with them. This will be their fourth season, I have around +500 miles on them. It’s the most comfortable, effortless binding  I’ve ever used. I can adjust them to fit over my running shoes on hard pack days, but typically I wear Forty Below overboots. They’ve proven to be durable, reliable, the 30” length weighs 5oz less than the MSR, and at $180 a pretty good value. Sorry I can’t comment on MSRs as I’ve never used them. :(  I ogled them (old style) when I was researching snowshoes before ultimately purchasing the Atlas.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Todd: i hear you for sure about that fancy new binding, and wear size 14 shoes myself (usually either WP Keen or big bulky boots in winter). I’d definitely want to try them on with a variety of shoes before dropping $320! That mesh thing over the top of you foot has me wondering a little, too: is it the coolest new thing or a solution looking for a problem that I’m going to have to replace two or three times a year, out in the woods?

David: those look nice and I may take a good long look- here in New England it tends to get pretty steep and icy, though, and I’m a pretty major MSR fan so it’s going to be tough to drag me away from the Lightnings with their terrific 360 traction.

has anyboyd actually seen a pair of these? There’s a new REI opening up in Burlington VT soon so maybe I’ll take a ride up there…

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

From a brief review at Outdoor Gear Lab:

the new Paragon binding is harder to use, especially for folks with big feet…Otherwise, the design is unchanged…

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I dropped by REI today to check out the new bindings.  I didn’t try them on, but it’s pretty clear that there’s no adjustment for the placement of your ball-of-foot.  I predict people with average feet will buy them, love them, write great reviews.  People with large feet (and maybe those with small ones) will just not buy them.  Too bad.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Have the 1st generation MSR Lightning Ascent ‘shoes after sliding downhill, hitting a tree and injuring my shoulder using ATLAS tubular framed ‘shoes. No more sliding sideways!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools