Topic

New Moment DW fly (on older inner tent)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Moment DW fly (on older inner tent)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OK, so I did a no-no and left my original fly “tied” to a heavy wooden picnic table chair, int shopping during a windstorm and came back to no fly.  And neighbors had not seen it either.

Solution: Order a new fly from Tarptent.

It came with improvements (except for the CF rod retention at each end) and is lower at the fly hem, giving more foul weather protection. Also Tarptent added an extra guy point loop on each side of the main pole sleeve and added stronger zippers with 2-way pulls. Thanks for that extra insurance TT.

So I seam sealed it with tube sealant inside and 50/50 GE clear silicone/odorless mineral spirits mix on the outside. “Belt and suspenders”.

Then I added reflective Spectra core tent cord loops all around to the fly edge stake loops, bottom of the CF rod ends and even at the main hoop pole end areas. With 4 guy lines from the old fly already made I just made 2 more for the extra pole sleeve guy points.

I must say that Henry Shires has improved the Moment DW gen. 2 to be more storm worthy and stronger. Now if they would just make the fly end flaps so they can be totally closed for high wind conditions in snow as well as rain. After all, with the Moment design it’s the tent ends you put into the wind when possible.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Eric,
    There have been a number of iterations of the Moment, and I bought one of the first single walls and modified it to make it easier to remove and store the long carbon struts in the pole bag. But I had thought at some point, that at least one of the versions of the Moment had solid end covers that could be closed to cover the openings at both ends. Was I wrong?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The current version does have solid end covers as can be seen in this photo (covers not in use…)

the end struts connections have been re-designed to make them easier to add and remove.

Both can be clearly seen in the set up video.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools