Topic

New Member – Thanks for the Advice!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New Member – Thanks for the Advice!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christine H
    BPL Member

@purplebird7

I wanted to say “hi” and “thanks” to the people of this forum.  I never knew what ultralight backpacking was until three years ago.  I was able to find the right equipment because of your good advice.  I didn’t realize it could be so easy to hike and camp, to be able to keep going without having to turn around and go back to the car by sunset!  How liberating!  No heavy tents, no hotel reservations.  Y.O.L.O.  Go for it.

Anyway, I’m going to write a few reviews about tents and sleeping bags so the next person who has questions will find answers here, like I did.

I’m not much of a forum poster, but I’ll check in from time to time to read and reply if I can contribute something worthy.  See you around.  Happy camping!

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Welcome. Have fun. Looking forward to those reviews from your perspective. Happy Hiking!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Christine,

You sound like me 10 years ago when I first found this site. And the older I get the more important this site becomes. (Geezers need light loads.)

Christine H
    BPL Member

@purplebird7

Yeah, like, “No hotel?  No problem.  I’ve got my tent.  No car?  No problem, I’ll just set up here tonight and figure it out in the morning.”  Total freedom.  Right?  It made me nervous traveling — booking reservations, paying ahead, looking up bus and train schedules — cuz if I got something wrong I was stranded without a roof over my head.  Now I’m like a turtle!  You people are so cool, like, “Whatever happens, we can handle it.  We are BPL.”

Or wait… You drive to the trailhead and, oops, the parking lot is full.  Sorry, you can’t hike until you find a parking space THIS AFTERNOON IF SOMEONE LEAVES.  Hey!  I could’ve camped here last night.  Duh.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools