Topic

New Lightweight Digital Thermometer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Lightweight Digital Thermometer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kelly C
    BPL Member

@drsolarmolar-2

One of the “luxury” items I like to carry is a digital thermometer that can tell me the minimum temperature.  I have been using the Coghlans Digital Dangler, but recently while watching one of Shug’s hammock videos, he showed the new Thermoworks Thermodrop  lightweight digital thermometer.  I decided to pick one up.  Weighs just a pinch over 14g.  Shows current temp, maximum, and minimum (but not all at once.  You have to select each using a single button which is slightly annoying.). It also has a backlight which is probably its best feature.  Seems to be pretty accurate in my short-term tests.

Retails direct from Thermoworks for $19.  (Thermoworks recommends you buy directly from them.). By the time I paid my state sales tax and shipping I was into it for close to $25, which seems a bit steep for what it is.  (I did get a small package of Jelly Bellies with my order though so there’s that…)

At this point I’m not recommending it one way or the other.  With the Digital Dangler I like that I don’t have to do multiple button pushes to see the current and minimum temperature.   On the other hand the Thermodrop has large numbers and a backlight.  So if you’re looking for a stocking stuffer for the Holidays for around $25 this might be something to consider

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermodrop

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve used this Acurite Thermometer for years.  It uses the same CR2032 battery and shows the temp, including min and max, without any buttons.  I keep the battery out of it when I’m not hiking and haven’t had to change it in 3 years.  The min and max resets automatically every 24 hours so I just put the battery in at 9:00 am a day or two before I hike.  That gives me the min overnight (and some time to remember to check it) and the max during the day.

I don’t know how weather-resistant it is, but it hangs on the outside of my pack and has definitely been out in the rain.  Not bad for $12 from Wal-Mart.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have one of those accurites on the outside of my window.  It’s been out in the rain for at least a year.  It’s 39 F right now.  I’d weigh it but it was a bit tricky to get it to stay in place – that suction cup doesn’t work very good.

I have a normal alcohol zipper pull thermometer I put on the outside of my pack.  I can read it within a couple degrees.  When it’s actually 32 F, it reads 30 F, which I can just mentally adjust for, not normally important.

Hmmm… that thermoworks looks pretty nice, I might get one.  The balance of trade with China isn’t quite big enough : )

I carry a Brunton ADC wind.  Wind meter and clock/calendar.  Kind of expensive.  1.8 ounces.

One thing I hate about the Brunton that’s probably the same for the thermoworks and accurite, is that the temperature sensor is internal, so it takes 15 minutes or even 30 minutes for it to come to temperature.  A bit annoying if I take it out of my pack.  I have other thermometers that have an external sensor that stabilizes within a minute, like in my kitchen for cooking.

Kelly C
    BPL Member

@drsolarmolar-2

I’ve noticed the Thermodrop takes a long time to equilibrate if I take it from one temp to another (like inside to outside, 15-20 minutes).  But I also considered that if it’s hanging off my pack that really shouldn’t be an issue.

I may look at picking up one of those Acurites.  More what I want at half the price!.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Also have the acurite…works well.  Recommended.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

How much does accurite weigh?

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I bought a Thermodrop a few weeks ago for the same purpose. I hang it from my suspension after I hang my hammock and tarp and let it settle. I’m honestly only concerned with checking minimum temp overnight so I can assess the effectiveness of my sleep system. I don’t need logging or charts; I write the temp in my notes for the trip and then see what worked and what didn’t for my clothes and quilt. It’s good for what it is and the size/weight.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

The Accurite without the suction cup is 1.2 oz.

I have carried one for years, yes they are slow to settle on the temp but like Bob Kerner I just hang it near my sleeping bag and get the Min. in the morning.  The Max is a little less reliable is just hanging it on the pack, especially if it gets in in the sun.  I have had readings of 114 degrees, even buried in a side pocket but in the sun.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

1.2 ounces compared to 0.5 ounces for thermodrop????  OMG

my generic alcohol analog zipper pull thermometer is 0.3 ounces

yeah, my pack gets hot inside when hiking in the sun

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Specifications
    Range: -13 to 122°F (-25 to 50°C)
    Accuracy: ±1.8°F (±1°C)
    Resolution: 1° over full range
    IP Rating: IP67
    Backlight: 10 seconds
    Battery: CR2025 (3V) lithium coin cell (included) x 1, approximately 4000 hours (167 days)
    Display: 18.2 dia. mm; Digits: 7.45 H mm
    Product Size: 49 H x 33 W x 12.5 D mm
    Weight: 14.3 grams

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Well, I have a multi-function watch (Timex) that has all the bells and whistles (altimeter, timers, barometer, etc.) I have to remember to take it off to get an accurate reading, though. It has a 12 hour backtrack for temp (usually enough for min and max), barometer and altimeter. Time is 12/24 hour, and keeps track of the date even through leap years. It displays the day of the week which is important to me for short trip (one and two week trips) planning. All for an ounce and a half. I would bring it anyway, just for the time and date functions, let alone the tracking (time to distance) for various turns.  Highly recommended…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools