Topic

New lightest battery Anker Powercore 10000

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New lightest battery Anker Powercore 10000

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

i’ve charged my phone from very low to 100% at home 4 or 5 times.

one thing i notice is that the iphone drops down from describing itself as “100%” much faster than when charged from the wall. this made me wonder if it’s related to how phone batteries work, which has been explained to me as charging to 90-something percent rather fast, and then taking a relatively long time to top off the last bit to 100. (maybe this is outdated by the iphone 6.) anyway, that made me wonder if the battery pack shuts off early when it sees “100” even if it’s not exactly “100” as the wall would see it. i’m just spitballing here, i have zero technical knowledge on this kind of thing.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

Just got the Anker PowerCore 10000 and I’m NOT thrilled with it.  Most likely going to return it.

Dislikes:

• Only 1 charging port so can only charge 1 device at a time
    • No pass thru charging – can’t power a device while the battery is recharging
    • No built-in cable

I need at least 2 charging ports (for my phone and Garmin watch) and it would be really convenient to have at least one built-in USB cable (one less thing to keep track of/lose).

I have one of one of these packs:

http://goo.gl/wDzb77

Weight = 4.5 oz on my scale.
    It’s perfect for my needs except for longer trips, I need a larger capacity which unfortunately they don’t make in this form factor.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Ben

I think a 100% charge is exactly that. What I have noticed with various iPhones batteries is that their reporting can be a bit funny. For instance, using a battery, I will charge to reported number, let’s say 76%, and then when I yank the cord, a different amount gets reported. I have not checked to see if this behavior is manifested using a wall charger. Because of this, in my tests I made sure to charge to charge from absolutely dead to a reported 100%. I suspect that adding up a series of mid-level charges would not be a reliable test.

My only complaint its the amount of time it takes to charge the unit, but the 2A input seems to be standard for units of a similar size.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

Expanding the subject with another option, and requested input…

Specifically for thru-hiking use, for those instances when you do not want/need to stay in town overnight for resupply.

My thinking: Higher input power is more critical than output power, so that you can get back on the trail quicker.

Note that you would need an outlet adapter that provides 2A or larger. If you need more power, as I do, get two, with something like this:

Anyone see an issue with my thinking here? This is my plan for an upcoming thru (AT sobo) where I want to keep moving if I get to town earlier than late afternoon. (My charging items: delorme with tracks on, iphone at about 75% charge per day, BD Revolt headlamp at maybe 2 hours use per day. Max days between resupply: planning for 5, but usually 4 or less.)

I have the lighter subject Anker charger, but it takes so long to fill up. I’m thinking the weight penalty of the proposed setup would ultimately be more efficient due to quicker charging, and I like that the extra capacity is enough that I don’t have to be as mindful of usage. This might be particular to me, but I hike much better when I have less gear details to keep in mind. I’m also trying to skip PO’s, due to the incumbent scheduling restrictions. Another distraction I don’t need. Relevant side note: even with this stuff, I’ll be at about 10 lbs BW. I’m not cooking, but I do need a lot of calories, about 2.7 lbs per day. Anyway, all comments are welcome.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

@Mocai: The Anker Powercore can also charge at 2A, in fact it’s recommended; is there another reason you think that the RAV will charger faster?

@dkny2la
    I think you need to spend a few seconds reading item  descriptions before pressing the “pay” button :)

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

@mocai

Your power usage is high; you might want a larger unit if you go 5 days.

If you have the Delorme doing the tracking, not sure why your iPhone will gobble up a %75 charge each day. Without tracking the iPhone can generally go 4-6 days.

As was pointed out, the unit you link to has no faster input than the 10000; 2A.

Quick stops are definitely a problem, and you can sometimes find yourself waiting in line behind others to get a shot at the only outlets. Solutions include fast dual chargers like you link to; carrying two smaller batteries instead of one large one to charge simultaneously; carrying a multi-plug so you can plug in right away without unplugging someone else; mooching power from someone you befriend on the trail.

Or you can just not pack your fears, and if you go a few days without an electronic device, no big deal.

Mordecai _
    BPL Member

@mocai

Crap. I was thinking the Anker was 1A input. 2A input is in this post and on the unit. My bad.

Is 2A the limit?

(My power usage is high, I get it. For me, that’s what I settled on after a previous thru, and its how I hike best. But feel free to argue otherwise… I appreciate the comments.)

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Any thoughts on this solar version:

http://goo.gl/3040Lp

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

I’ve a 12000mAh version of this.
    For my usual trips is overkill, as I won’t stay more than 3-4 days away from a place where to restock food (and at that point there will be option for recharge the powerbank).
    Haven’t really used the solar panel yet, in UK there isn’t a lot of sun :-(

Regarding the fast charging, I usually keep the powerbank+electronics in the sleeping bag with me. First, the cold during the night won’t get the batteries down, then those 8-9hrs are more than enough to get 100% charge.

David P
    BPL Member

@trailguru

Locale: United States

Got the Powercore 20100 (The big brother) and I can attest to it’s worthiness to be included in my pack. I can get about 4 charges to my Note 5 despite draining it almost every (I use Gaia GPS app)

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

I bought the Anker 10,000 with fast charge awhile back. I believe I weighed it at 7oz without storage pouch.

It was more than I needed for my phone on airplane/battery saver mode. It does charge the phone quickly.

I also have an Anker Astro E1 5,200 with quick charge (candybar version). It’s 3 oz. I can get about 4 days of phone with this depending on what I’m doing.

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

I picked up the anker 10050 last month which weighs a little bit more at 8oz but has dual ports and charges at 3A max. I just went to go look it up and it appears they don’t sell that model anymore, but they do have the 13000 which has the dual ports and charges at 3A and weighs in at 8.5oz.

I’ve been really happy with the one that I picked up. I used it to charge my headlamp and my phone on a 4 day trip mid September to the eastern Sierra and still had 3/4 of the charge left when we hiked out.

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Hey All

Trying to decide between the 3 Anker 10000 charger for my Samsung s6. Anyone have thoughts?

<span class=”a-list-item”>Anker PowerCore+ 10050       </span>

Anker PowerCore Speed 10000 QC,

Anker PowerCore 10000

The PowerCore+ has quick charge in/out (3hour recharge) but heaviest and most expensive

PowerCore Speed 10000QC quick charge out

PowerCore lightest/cheapest

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools