Topic

New Knees (Stem Cells)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Knees (Stem Cells)

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

It might be helpful to provide an update on my experience:

My worser knee was doing pretty good; but the upper bone was deforming markedly where it met the joint.  Was also concerned about reaching the age where TKR surgery would would be a very rough haul, and possibly unsuccessful.  Most of my delay involved not being satisfied with the doctors I consulted and/or the hospital staffs for reasons that ranged from bad chemistry to out and out dishonesty and/or incompetence.  (Not going on a high horse here, I’ve done some incompetence in my time.)   Some of this is also reflected in comments from others in the above posts.

Fortunately, I found a doctor who I felt comfortable with and decided to go ahead.  I almost died from underlying conditions; but fortunately was blessed by doctors and staff at a local hospital who acted quickly and effectively to diagnose and treat and bring me back.  So would say a TKR may be fine when younger, but not so much when reaching the age where a number of underlying chronic conditions may be present.

In my case, the osteo arthritic disease had progressed to the point that it could be fatal if the bone (not just the meniscal cartilage) failed in the backcountry.  (do carry a PLB).  So felt there was no other option.  Am now almost three months out from the surgery, and on new physical therapists who are much better, and seem to be improving (took the dogs on a hilly 3 mile road walk this week with minimal discomfort, and still felt strong when reaching home).  We will see how it goes when we hit Colorado in August; but it will be only day hikes this year.

Conceivably, from a lay person’s standpoint, there should be a better way to address osteoarthritis, and better ways to replace damage and wear to the cartilage.  There are great articles on the Stanford Medicine News Center, and appreciate D K’s link.  But the reality is that spectrums of ability of professionals run from good to bad in medical as well as other professions, and often there are simply no definitive answers in any case.  I was also fortunate that one of my past interns in mediation is a highly experienced nurse, has worked in numerous hospitals, and knows the players and their scores.  Bottom line:  Nobody lives forever, and the effects of aging present new challenges that require some serious attitude adjustments.

I wish you all good fortune in your searches for solutions.   Daryl, the usual next step is a three shot series, a week apart, of OrthoVisc injections.  My brother and I both have found that to be way more helpful.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I was also fortunate that one of my past interns in mediation is a highly experienced nurse, has worked in numerous hospitals, and knows the players and their scores.
    And THAT is the real bottom line: inside knowledge of the players.

Cheers

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

My recent post may have given the impression that after 3 months all was well with the TKR after hiking several miles. Alas, it is more of an up and down process. There are stronger days and weaker days, and days that produce stiffness and days that do not. Not knowing how things will end up is not so great either. I will post again on this thread in a few months to try to give a better picture. Do not want anyone considering a TKR to be misled at this point.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

OK 6 months later update.        Just did the Uinta Highline Trail.

Knees are rock solid.    No pain whatsoever.

I am at a loss for any explanation at this point.  At first they are good. Then not so good.  Now they are  really good.

WTH?

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!