Topic

New Garmin inReach Mini 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Garmin inReach Mini 2

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    talagnu
    BPL Member

@talagnu

so I upgraded from the mini to the mini 2. I had an unused xmas rei gift card and quickly sold my mini to make up the difference. I haven’t taken it out in the field yet but the firmware seems less busy and more efficient to use/navigate. and the explore app is far better than the earth mate app. those were my biggest gripes about the mini. the menu and app interface was convoluted and clunky. the new versions are much more intuitive. I think I’ll enjoy the breadcrumb feature since I tend to get lost and have to backtrack lol

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

My old Mini also had a battery issue. I called tech support and they walked me through upgrading everything and it still didn’t work. So they offered me a replacement, even though it was out of warranty. The new (old model) one works great. Great service. I see  no need to upgrade though.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

what do you mean it didn’t work?

did you replace the battery?  where did you get it?  Did you do anything after replacement?…

I saw a youtube video where the guy just replaced the battery and it worked.  It seems like the mini wouldn’t know the difference between a battery fully discharged, then recharged vs putting a new battery in.

I have a battery to be delivered tomorrow so I will soon find out

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

[post deleted by MK]

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

The battery just drained quickly, even when not in use, just as you described.  I did not replace the battery. I contacted Garmin tech support, which was fabulous. They worked through with me making sure firmware was up to date, etc. It still didn’t solve the battery issue. So they replaced my device entirely. The one I have now works great.

I would not want a PLB. I like the functionality to be able to text friends/family and make arrangements if needed. The mini is a great tool

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

ahhh…  thanks

Then I should probably be good, we’ll find out

same here, I like to be able to text wife to let her know where I am and everything’s okay

I will never use the emergency function

Hopefully, but nice if needed

Being able to text the rescue people my situation is also invaluable

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I think of situations like, I broke my leg and cannot walk out, but am warm and safe. So need rescue, but not life or death. Maybe that makes a difference to rescuers to have specifics. Nice to be able to text.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

or, I’m lost, which way do I go?

I got snake bite, I need immediate treatment

there’s a forest fire at …

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Garmin posted some YouTube videos about the inReach Mini 2, that might be worth watching if you are considering a purchase. Mostly covers stuff we already knew.

Except the screen is higher resolution – how much better not stated. The display looks much clearer in the videos, assuming they haven’t been enhanced.

— Rex

inReach® Mini 2 – Garmin® Retail Training (6:28)

YouTube video

Support- Pairing an inReach® Mini 2 with the Garmin Explore™ App (Apple®) (2:34)

YouTube video

Support- Using TracBack on the inReach® Mini 2 (2:05)

YouTube video

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Garmin inReach Mini 2 has a higher screen resolution than the 1st gen with almost twice the # of pixels. Specs are in this article where the video interview w/Chip @ Garmin is embedded.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Looks like the Mini 2 has more visible button labels on the front, which could reduce my frustration while squinting at the screen:

— Rex

Kin C
    BPL Member

@kinwcheng

Trying to decide on which plan to activate with garmin on my new inreach mini 2.

Does anyone have experience with using the safety plan on an annual membership and bumping it up to recreation plans as needed and back? This seems the cheapest and best use for this device but I’m not sure about the worth of tracking. Also does anyone have experience with the tracking feature? Is continuous tracking even worth it compared to a cellphone GPS? I would like to review my route after my trip but I’ve read the tracking sucks and you’re better off with gaia on your phone. My concern is an iPhone tracking GPS all day will murder the battery in no time flat but I’ve never experimented with this. Also from the perspective of someone at home are all these extra features of the recreation plan (messaging/tracking) worth it or just a hassle to use? I’ve heard mixed reported about 3rd partying trying to contact you without you first contacting them.

Is this device much less useful without tracking?

If I register for safety plan, set interval to 20min, then a longer 12hr day will have 36 locations sent at $0.10 CAD this is $3.60 CAD per a day of tracking.

Or just pay 13$ a month more and get unlimited tracking?

Things that already annoy me:

45$ CAD activation fee
    50$ CAD annual retainer fee on flex plans

Ken White
    BPL Member

@kenw

I use the safety annual and then bump up to recreation for 5-6 months a year. So a little savings from recreation on-off-on. As for tracking, I want to give SAR, after my wife calls and sends them the link to my Garmin page, breadcrumbs to find/recover me after I stop moving.

Breau
    BPL Member

@breau

If I register for safety plan, set interval to 20min, then a longer 12hr day will have 36 locations sent at $0.10 CAD this is $3.60 CAD per a day of tracking.

Sending your location costs $0.15 CAD, which means sending 36 locations per day costs $5.40 CAD.

You’ve got me thinking that an annual subscription that I bump up for a two to three months is just as expensive as having a freedom plan on only for the summer months. Automatically sending my location is great for solo trips, I would bump up to recreation so that I can leave a bread crumb in case something happens and I’m unable to send my location. But for group trips I think I’d be okay with the Safety plan, the odds of everyone in the group being unable to send a message would be pretty low and it’s not something I’d worry about.

I ran a few numbers in Excel.

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

One reminder, the more Tracking points set, the more the battery is used.  People also complain about having to recharge often.  I set my tracking way low and hope if something happens, my location goes thru.  Plus, I’m on trails and not 20 miles from the nearest trail.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

This has me thinking. .

Ken,

I don’t have one yet but want to soon. I also don’t get out much.  If I were to start with the safety freedom and if needed upgrade to the recreational freedom for a month then drop down to safety and suspended it, can I do that?

For the cheapest option and least amount of use if I could easily change between safety and recreational and suspend when not needed that seems like it would be ideal!

Breau
    BPL Member

@breau

Hello Josh,

Yes, you can change in between levels of plans and suspend when you don’t need it. The freedoms plans do have a yearly fee on top of the monthly fees.

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

IIRC, you may always move up plans.  They charge the difference and it upgrades immediately (with view of the sky I think).  But you have to stay on that for the month.  The following month, you may drop back down.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!