Topic

New HMG Unbound Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New HMG Unbound Tent

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That pictures shows it well. Most of the floor is sewn to the fly using a spacer of noseeum mesh to enable drainage. This noseeum connects to the fly about 5″ up from the bottom (you can see the seam from outside) so there is still a overhang of the fly beyond this. It looks pretty good. You could get a bit of condensation onto the floor at the corners. The floor does not appear to be tensioned (it just hangs from its top edge like Zpacks).

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Looks like any dripping condensation at the corners would spill into the interior floor. Also those corners seem to limit the depth of the ‘bathtub’ floor.

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@ludwigk

What’s the real advantage of being able to pitch the xmid or similar designs with only 4 stakes?  Sure, the tent will stand up but why would you take the risk?  I would still carry the min 2 extra stakes just in case bad wether rolls in so why not stick them in the ground??

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

Alexander, I personally don’t like ridgeline peak guy lines being staked out 3 feet or so from the tent if I don’t have to. It seems annoying to me to have to walk around or think about. Like I said, just a preference. Also, gives me anxiety when I know someone is up in the middle of the night. Like he may trip over my guy line, pull up the stake, etc…

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Here’s another look. Yep, appears as if the corners of the DCF floor are bonded/sewn directly to the fly and then they put in a little arch shaped opening of noseeum to allow for some meager ventilation (at least it’s more than the Dirigo 2 had).

Again, I could be wrong but since HMG doesn’t clarify I’m only going by what I see. I e-mailed them a couple of hours ago to try and find out what the overall dimensions of the Unbound are and if the floor is attached the way I think it is. When you’re asking $699 for a tent you should provide more info to the potential buyer.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

“What’s the real advantage of being able to pitch the xmid or similar designs with only 4 stakes?  Sure, the tent will stand up but why would you take the risk?  I would still carry the min 2 extra stakes just in case bad wether rolls in so why not stick them in the ground?”

My post on the previous page addresses this, but in short my answer is that it relates to pitch simplicity. Tents with a rectangular base have less measuring/estimating angles and distances compared to a tent with a hexagonal base. You estimate one 90 degree corner and the tent goes up, compared to measuring or estimating a few things (pole heights, distances, 120 degree angles). That’s not to say a hexagon is = tedious – just that a rectangle is simpler which is nice when you’re tried and cold at the end of a day. You would normally use 6 stakes with the X-Mid (or more in rough weather), whereas with the Unbound you need 8 because the end walls are cut so they require those pull outs. For stormy weather you would use more.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Just got an e-mail back from HMG regarding the Unbound 2.

Hi there Monte

Thanks for your inquiry. Great questions.

From corner to corner (width-wise) it’ll be 54″. Corner to corner (length-wise) will be 101″. The ridgeline will be 52″.

Correct, the floor is sewn directly to the fly at the corners.

Kind regards, Max

So I was wrong about the overall dimensions, they’re pretty much identical to the Duplex. I was right about the floor however.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I’ve not seen any posts/reviews online from anyone that actually has one of these. Has anyone seen anything more on this tent?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

We have the Unbound shelter in our review queue, haven’t yet spent a night in it but we’ve set it up and have had a pretty detailed look at everything.

Quality of materials and cut/sew/bond construction is excellent. Pitch is tight. Plenty of tie outs for a storm pitch.

It’s seems a little less “airy” than the Duplex so may be a little warmer in a cold wind.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

As much as I disliked their backpacks (to put it lightly), this tent actually looks like a solid alternative to the Duplex. Duplex already has almost too much airflow for some people, so the reduced mesh areas and lower doors might put it more into the sweet spot. If the DCF bias is more controlled, as maybe theorized here already, then just extra bonus points.

As Ryan just posted, it’s probably going to be a little warmer with a cold breeze than the Duplex, and maybe more rain resistant at the doors. If this was the type of shelter I was looking into, I would probably get it over the Duplex if the added weight is no concern.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

This Reddit thread has some comments from an ambassador that has used one for 6,000 miles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/ywxo1d/hmg_unbound_tent_or_pack_reviews/

I think this is the guy and there are photos on his Instagram of the tent. Sounds like its held up in quite a bit of snow on the CDT.

https://www.instagram.com/quadzillahikes/

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Anything with a zipper is better than the Duplex IMO.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Yes John K, I too have been wondering why nearly 5 weeks after its unveiling I haven’t seen one YouTube video or one comprehensive review of the Unbound 2. When the Dirigo 2 came onto the scene it was hyped as if it was the first Apple iPhone or something. There were countless videos and written coverage of the Dirigo 2 from the moment it became available. The Unbound 2 is the exact opposite. Perhaps the disappointment which came with the Dirigo when extensive real-world field testing revealed the design flaws of the tent has made buyers far more cautious before ponying up $700 this time.

Yet I have no doubt the construction and the durability of then Unbound 2 is supreme. And I’m sure the zippers make things easier. I mean if you don’t mind the weight penalty, great.

I’m mainly waiting to see what the corners of the floor sewn directly to the fly looks like. And I can certainly believe the Unbound 2 is less “airy” than the Duplex, but of course that can have a downside too as in becoming a condensation factory. BPL mentions in their Gear Shop description of the Unbound 2 that the fly pitches closer to the ground than the Duplex. So yes, it might be better than the Duplex with blowing rains.

Also BPL you guys made a wrong word typo in your listing of the Unbound 2 on Gear Shop. Instead of “Hyperlite Mountain Gear Unbound 2 Shelter” you guys have “Hyperlite Mountain Guide Unbound 2 Shelter”. I suppose a Hyperlite mountain guide is a very small and thin guide. Okay not funny.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Guide changed to Gear.

Good catch. Thanks!

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Exactly what I was thinking Monte, there is a noticeable silence on this unit online.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

What relevance does that have to whether it is a good tent for someone?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

What relevance does that have to whether it is a good tent for someone?

My read is that people are surprised by the relative radio silence on this shelter. Usually there are lots of reviews that pop up right away and people use those to learn details about the product (e.g. how the bathtub is attached).

I suspect the reason we have seen less about this shelter is due to its introduction late in the season.

Just my $.02

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Can’t wait for Dan Becker’s review. The comments almost sound as if it’s a criticism of the tent because everyone’s favorite YouTubers haven’t posted a review. Just my interpretation. It is being used by someone trying to complete a calendar year triple crown and assuming he’s been using as he says, it’s probably a better endorsement than a YouTuber.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I didn’t hear it that way. I find BPL members to be skeptical of YouTube reviews and other social media. Again, just my $.02

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I didn’t mean to come across as being critical of the tent…I’m interested in seeing more of it being used in the field prior to ordering one. Yes, I use photos/blogs/vlogs and resources like BPL to gather that info. I agree with Matthew that late season timing of the release is likely affecting how much is being posted right now about it. I also didn’t realize Quadzilla (The Healthy Gamer on YouTube) was using one of these on his triple crown attempt.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I will let the mech engineers here figure out the loss of ventilation by sewing the corners. But that is a significant loss of airflow potential compared to Duplex, Xmid, Stratospire, the Two, for example. HMG baffles me at times with some odd mfg choices, re the Dirigo (rain falling directly to interior when door is opened). Sewn corners may work well for lower humidity climates. Would be nice if the design parameters were clear.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I don’t pay any attention to trail ambassadors because they’re almost always going to give you a biased thumbs up approval of whatever free gear item they’re using, one given to them by the gear company (along with other perks), And I consume YouTube videos much more for what I see than for anything a reviewer says. I’m so cynical I figure they all might be lying for ulterior motives. Dan Becker is a smart guy with lots of subs, but I’m not convinced he isn’t a shill for backcountry.com and the mainstream gear companies (who get their gear cranked out in China). He does approve of the X-Mids however so he’s not totally in the pockets of Big Agnes, Osprey, etc.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Sorry for the tangent, but when it comes to reviewers, especially the full-time “professional” ones, they really can’t make a living at it by doing thorough reviews of gear. The return on their time in the way of money from affiliate sales is not going to cut it, not even close.

The best reviews come from people who don’t do reviews for monetary gain, and review after using the gear for a decent amount of time. Darwin On the Trail, while sometimes a little cheesy in presentation, at least the guy would do some serious miles before giving a thumbs up or down on gear. On the opposite end of the spectrum, places like Section Hiker it’s obvious the person is chugging as fast as possible through reviewing many of the reviewed gear and obviously just taking the stuff out into the woods, setting it up once for photos, and then giving the impression of having fully reviewed the product. It’s impossible for a single person to review that many items of gear.

Outdoor Gear Lab I think might have a better position for reviewing, but when I last checked their rates of compensation to reviewers, it was clear the reviewers themselves were doing it out of passion and not so much monetary compensation. I also find they fail massively at times though, because they review something in Utah or the Sierras and then extrapolate that the item should perform great all over the world. Yeah, no, dawg. Your 10/10 reviewed boots for traction are garbage in the PNW rain.

I used to write reviews for camera gear, which is a massively (orders of magnitude, I would guess) larger market for enthusiasts than backpacking, and even there, it’s really hard to make a go of it as a reviewer even though the affiliate link gains are massive compared to backpacking gear.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I just zip the doors a little bit on my dirogo, or move the poles in. Rain problem solved. Though I do think it’s a better winter tent. You just gotta think about it like a pyramid. 👍

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Seems like since Ryan and company already has their hands on an Unbound 2, a nice little “First Looks” video would be in order. Of course spending nights out in the field with the tent are needed for a comprehensive review, but being the first video of the Unbound 2 on YouTube would give backpackinglight.com good exposure and possibly more members/readers. A good opportunity to show that BPL is on top of what’s new and cutting-edge in ultralight backpacking gear. Being first is always good. And I’m sure there are a lot of backpackers who might be interested in the Unbound 2 who are just waiting for some kind of visual. You can always upload another more in-depth video later.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools