Topic

New Great American Rail-Trail (DC to Seattle)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring New Great American Rail-Trail (DC to Seattle)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

New bike (-packing) trail almost coast to coast in the US and basically seems a new way to see the USA according to British Broadcasting.  Much is made from former railroad grades though some parts are “incomplete” ; if it minimizes car interaction, I may be up for trying this.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20201213-a-new-way-to-travel-across-the-us

Starts with a young guy switching to bikepacking as his joints are getting too sore to backpack.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m with you, as long as there are few if any long road stretches I’d love to do this.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Cool!

Other than the trendyness of calling a 350 mile bike ride in the east coast of the US, an “expedition”

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Starts with a young guy switching to bikepacking as his joints are getting too sore to backpack.

Sounds like me. Hiking miles are not working so well due to foot injuries…But the cycling mileage is still working.

Thanks for posting!

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Cool!

Other than the trendyness of calling a 350 mile bike ride in the east coast of the US, an “expedition”

I have no great love of biking on paved roads in the US, which is what has always turned me of from the idea of the Coast to Coast bike routes. This seems like a great addition.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools