Topic

New GG Gorilla 2016 version 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New GG Gorilla 2016 version 2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Looks like the website updated today … new “v2” of 2016 Gorilla

Has a floating/removeable brain and body shape looks a bit different to me.

http://gossamergear.com/gorilla-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle.html

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about it…Loved my 2015 gorilla and felt they should never change it.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about it…Loved my 2015 gorilla and felt they should never change it.

Agreed … don’t love the new look … the new brain says to me that they are trying to be more mainstream. Functionally it may be wonderful. but I’m one for aesthetics too and this is just “blah” in terms of looks to me.

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

Yuck…didn’t realize they were redesigning. :-(

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

Weights gone up too. Hmmmm not digging the changes… KS50 here we go. ;)

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

Wow- they realllly don’t want to be UL.

Jason Spangler
    BPL Member

@wumple

Shoot, I was about to purchase 2 (for wife and me) of the GG Gorilla packs before this change.

Any suggestions of alternatives?  Thanks!

Jason Spangler
    BPL Member

@wumple

I think I’m going to go with a KS Ultralight KS-50 instead, due to the added weight and other changes to the new version of the GG Gorilla.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Also disappointed to see the additional few ounces added; going to place my order for a Gregory Baltoro 85 tonight instead.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The new Gorilla is still a good pack choice if you routinely carry weight approaching 30 lbs or more, like carrying weight close to your back, like good lumbar support, and like distributing most of the pack weight onto your hips. But the new “brain” may not be worth the added weight unless you really need the extra quick-access storage. Without the brain, the V2 and V1 pack weights look about the same.

On the JMT this summer the 2016 v1 (with the over the top OTT closure) carried up to 27 lbs including BV500 easily and I had zero complaints regarding its function or comfort. However, the pack did feel a little over engineered for lighter weights in the high teens.

Has anyone tried out both a KS 50/40 and the new Gorilla – if so, how do they compare for comfort and weight transfer and distribution in the mid 20’s weight range?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools