Topic

New FKT (backpacking style) for PCT by Josh Perry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking New FKT (backpacking style) for PCT by Josh Perry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Big congrats is due for doing this in a self-supported backpacking style manner.  The FKT organization is saying he probably has the FKT whittling down the time to 55 days and 16 hrs ..

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/hiking-and-backpacking/pacific-crest-trail-fkt-josh-perry/

.. despite having to bushwhack around the 2020 Lionshead closure (he assumed it would be open by now .. it was not, though shortly might be).  The above is not paywalled but his gear list is.

Of general interest to most of the forum it has a MYOG A-frame DCF tarp with ye olde beaks and a slanted bug net bivy that can fit inside.  All in a Nashville Cutaway pack.

Some of the other attemptees and fellow travellers used a WPB bivy sack or net-less tarp, so it’s good to see a full, yet UL, shelter “represent” (which is why I’m looking forward to latter interviews).

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Averaging 47 miles a day, I can tell you what his gear list is:

1) food

2) a pack to haul the food in.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Averaging 47 miles a day, I can tell you what his gear list is:

1) food

2) a pack to haul the food in

Close.  He did run a bit of the trail and his gear list is behind a paywall I won’t negate, but it seems his tarp was 0.34 DCF.  Working on his time, he must have started in June and went through the Sierra in relatively benign (weather-wise) July.  He has an AMA on reddit next week so not about to steal his thunder from afar.   Not sure I’d take a 0.34 DCF shelter into the Rockies or anywhere shoulder season. Maybe it works for others though?

His 2019 attempt was with a 5.5 lb packweight, so maybe he whittled it down even further.

Even if not caring about the sufferfest, think there may be some good gear ideas for summertime hikers on the west coast.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

When you are averaging 47 miles a day, you won’t be camping at altitude or in exposed locations. Just move a couple more miles +/- to get to a nice low altitude sheltered location, or even onto a trail shelter if the conditions are bad or forecast bad. So a 0.34 oz tarp is just fine. It only has to last the FKT. Not sure if would have also spent many nights in town accomodation at his planned resupplies, cuts out a few nights of wear and tear. Don’t pitch it if the weather is fine, or just breezy with no precipitation…plenty of those nights on the PCT for most in summer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools