Topic

New fabric from makeyourgear.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New fabric from makeyourgear.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

http://www.makeyourgear.com/fabrics/xenon-sil-.9/

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone post anything about this new fabric. Has anyone else noticed it/ordered some? I’m pretty intrigued by it. The Silpoly from ripstopbytheroll has some fans out there, but I am hesitant to trust such a lightweight polyester. The .7oz nylon from rockywoods is pretty awesome too (I made a tarp with it), but I don’t know if I would trust it with a larger tarp.

This fabric from makeyourgear.com is slightly heavier and only uses silicon as it’s coating. (PU coatings can weaken the fabric) I would expect it to be plenty strong for most applications.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

So it is for sure Nylon? They don’t say but I’m intrigued as well.

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

You’re right Hoosier, it doesn’t actually say it’s nylon, does it. I guess I assumed it was.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

?spinnaker fabric

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

In this thread, Dutch says the Xenon Sil 1.1 is ripstop polyester:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/113101-Xenon-sil-now-avail-able-at-Dutchwaregear-com?p=1597655&viewfull=1#post1597655

Given that the Xenon Sil 0.9 is also advertised as a low-stretch material, I would guess it is also ripstop polyester

Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Well, it looks like xenon is polyester after all. Nuts. I know lots of people like polyester for stretch resistance, but at such low weights, I’d rather deal with a little stretch and have extra strength.

Simon McGuire
    BPL Member

@simonm

Locale: Tasmania

The Xenon is polyester without a ripstop grid.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

And at a finished weight of .93 oz/yd2 it seems likely that it’s the same material as Membrane Silpoly. Think Dutch and RSBTR use the same supplier?

Kai Harris
    BPL Member

@kaid

The 1.1 Xenon on Dutchwaregear.com (same guy as makeyourgear.com) was tested about a year ago and came out pretty well.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/107266/

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Nothing new here, and and very slim on the specs.
    If Kai is correct about it being the same material tested by Richard, the HH plunges after limited exposure to rain.
    Poor quality coating.
    Nix.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools