Topic

New EE Recon Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New EE Recon Bivy

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Re. CONDENSATION AT THE FOOT AREA:

Maybe a “shingle” effect of netting behind one or two overlapping flaps at the foot would help with venting condensation in that area while still keeping out rain.

Doug G
    BPL Member

@dekartes

Thanks Tim!  I bought one last week and it arrives today.  I’ll set it up with a Borah tarp and post some pics.  Excited to get it.  I really like the design (on paper).   I own both 2 Borah tarps + the MLD Solomid inner.  This seems to fit a niche outside of those.   Basic Sil tarps next?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Doug,

I’d love your feedback when you get it out!

Tarps will certainly be coming down the line, maybe not the basic sil tarps you’re used to, maybe.

-Tim

Doug G
    BPL Member

@dekartes

Ok.  Initial quick impressions.   I like it better than a standard bivy (without any field use).  Good mix of protection and materials.  Weight and dimensions are right on.  6.8 oz with the stuff sack.  With a standard width, long pad there was plenty of room in the footbox and head.  I could easily lay sideways.  Enough room to read a kindle.  I put my Thermarest Max Large, which is a rectangle 25″ pad and it did fit, pushing out the sides at the foot a bit.   They being said the head space was much less.  Doable, but no reading.   I’ll do a better review after I use it.  This and my Borah tarp weigh less than 14oz together.   

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

I’m pretty late to the party (don’t really visit these forums as much as I should). but this looks pretty fantastic. I’ve recently settled on my Lunar Solo as my preferred shelter, but I could definitely see using this in a rotation.

It’s like a bug bivy with stakable corners and the top zip (like the MLD bug bivy). What’s not to love?

Giulia P
    BPL Member

@giulia-peddi

I’m seriously considering buying one of these and have a quick question: is the netting noseeum mesh? and if not, what’s the number of holes per square inch? I live in the UK and plan to use it in Scotland where midges are tiny merciless devils… Couldn’t find the info on the website. Cheers!

Doug G
    BPL Member

@dekartes

I’ll let Tim answer the question on the mesh as I don’t know the specific material.  What I can tell you is it was buggy – both mosquitos and no see ums – this last weekend and I didn’t get any bites.   I like it.   Buy one!

I paired it with 10 titanium shepherd hooks and 2 nail stakes to stand the tarp and pin the bivy.  Really liked the bivy being pinned at the bathtub corners.   I used a size large XLite and it fit perfectly with room for clothes at my feet.   I see EE now offers this in 2 sizes.  It was just the large size when I bought mine – but I would have bought that anyway.  It’s an A product.   Good job Tim!   Fantastically comfortable package for the weight.   On a side note – I typically like a large side zip for my bivy’s.  The middle top zip on this one works well and was easy to get in and out of.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

It’s .9oz noseeum mesh. I’m looking for a direct source for .7oz, but I’m struggling to find one.

-Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools