Topic

New Documentary Film about Female Range Riders (Cowgirls) in Mountain West

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues New Documentary Film about Female Range Riders (Cowgirls) in Mountain West

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don’t see the chaff forum anymore so I am placing this post here.

A movie review in my Saturday newspaper prompted me to drive an hour to San Francisco to see Bitterbrush, a documentary about gig workers in the rural economy filmed in what looks to be the Sawtooth Mtns of Idaho.  This movie is beautifully filmed and tells a gripping story about two hard-working women who love the mountains and the life of the cowboy.  The five-minute sequence about how to start a colt with a saddle is itself worth the price of admission. In real time, getting the colt to accept the saddle must have lasted many hours. My mom grew up on a small ranch outside of Billings that Grandpa and Grandpa lost in the Depression. But they all always had warm memories of life on the ranch. But the work is hard. Go see this film.

A trailer is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd5wOoAXbjY

Jo P.
    BPL Member

@sedimentary

Locale: Denver, CO

Thanks for the note – this is right up my alley.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks Bruce, looks like an interesting movie, will watch out for it.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Kind of a reboot of Brokeback Mountain, but with 2 female leads instead of 2 males.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have not seen Brokeback Mtn. But Bitterbrush is not about a budding romance between two woman.  Quite the opposite.  Not sure what other parallels there might be.

When they are not working the cattle (which is much of the screen time), the two women do talk about relationships with their fathers, mothers, boyfriends, horses, about job/life hopes and aspirations, and at one point, bank foreclosures on small ranches and farms.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As a Nevadan who has sen his share of women working on ranches I say ABOUT DAYMN TIME!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools