Topic

New cuben shelters by Japanese architecture firm mikikurota

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New cuben shelters by Japanese architecture firm mikikurota

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Thought you would like to have this on your radar – new cuben shelters by Japanese architecture firm mikikurota.

The Elemental1 looks like an Altaplex with the refinement (and pricing) of a Khufu. Conversions: 98″L x 67″W x 49″H; 8.8 oz (0.74 oz), 10.2 oz (1.0 oz); $623.

Then there’s a big group shelter coming soon called the Banquet. Check out these numbers: 157″L x 110″W x 53″H, 21.2 oz, $1,779. Biggest cuben shelter in the world? Certainly the most expensive!

Anyway, I like how architects are getting into the game. The images of their design process are really worth checking out – renderings, diagrams, models, etc. Nice inspiration for the MYOG forum…

Dave B
    BPL Member

@dave-b

Locale: Los Angeles area

Looks like a nice, but very expensive, shelter.  I’m having difficulty determining how the inside space would be for a 6’0″ person lying down.  The company’s statement regarding sizing is (using Google translate):

“The pole height is 125 cm. A person with a height of 180 cm also has a sufficient height, and it is a versatile height that can be set even in a short trekking pole.”

180 cm is approximately 5’10”, if I’m not mistaken.  I don’t think they give the height of their model, but he doesn’t seem to have a lot of room to spare.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Wow….that certainly is expensive for a tarp similar to the altaplex…but without the inner of an altaplex. And…its a shame they use a big waterproof zipper…I’m trying to avoid zippers as much as possible from messed up zippers after southern utah trips.   They must think people love zippers! They even put one on the vent! And…on their tent stake bag!

I do like all of the pics and computer diagrams though…and very zen like diagrams of how you should arrange your sleeping pad and gear.

Thanks for showing me the link….before I never knew I needed a fruit stuff sack….to protect an apple from…scratches?

Now that banquet….at 21oz….seems…underweight. My cuben supermid at 107×107 is 19.05oz. Not sure what weight cuben they are using (it looks like .74oz spruce in the pics), but for that size it seems it should weigh more. It might not be including guyline or anything…

Looks very similar to a shangri la 8. But that price tag…yikes. A cuben supermid…$820….and this is about 50% larger…but its more than double the price.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Does the 8.8 oz for the Elemental 1 include guylines?  Seems interesting, but again the prices…

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Ohh, love their attempts at English!

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Far better than my attempts at Japanese (and I did do a year of Japanese at uni).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Complete with one tiny and mostly-closed vent at the top.
    Cold weather, condensation?

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

It is nice that someone has finally solved my dilemma of how to carry my fruits.  I was just throwing them in my lid like a redneck.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

It is nice that someone has finally solved my dilemma of how to carry my fruits. I was just throwing them in my lid like a redneck.

Well, it does make me want to carry fruits. :)

Seriously, though, I like the shape of those bags. One of my own pet peeves are stuff sacks that are way too skinny. It isn’t efficient, and makes it hard to stuff something in there. For something like a down sweater, for example, the bigger sack would be great. The little one could work for wind pants and rain pants (maybe). I can put those right in my pack (and sometimes do) but having them in a sack means they are less likely to catch on something.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

A Cuben sack for a single orange—brilliant!!

Reminds me of the tiny Cuben sack Gary Dunckel made for the BRS-3000T…

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Speaking of the BRS-3000T…..that stuff sack will long outlive the stove.

Maybe then you could keep buying a new BRS-3000T as each one dies….until that stuffsack is ripped…

Sorry for the thread drift…but couldn’t resist. I’ve gone through two BRS-3000Ts so far. The stuffsacks that came with the stoves are still good. ;)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I think there are good and bad BRS stoves… gotten quite a bit of use from mine with no problems. :^)

I bought two and the second one was only fired up once when new to check it… and that was a couple of years ago, shortly after they first came out.

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Most interesting was the cuben light ball (I assume that’s what it is):

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools