Topic

New bike!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ve been riding thrift store and yard sale FrankenBikes for years and decided to get a new one. This is my first new bike since 1990!

It’s a Kona Dr Dew with 650b x 47mm WTB Horizon tires and 1×11 SRAM drivertrain. I added a new taller stem and Jones SG 2.5 loop handlebars, Racktime Addit and Topit racks (with a Wald basket zip-tied to the front ), NiteRider lighting, Sigma BC 8.12 computer, Mirrycle mirror and a rear mount kickstand. I also dropped the chainring from the stock 38 teeth to a more hill-friendly 34 tooth version.

My wife and I ride a lot of paved and gravel rail trails and I continued with a modern version of my old hybridized mountain bike running 26×2 touring tires. The geometry on the Dr Dew is within millimeters of the Kona Sutra touring bike. It is very stable and the long wheel base and chainstays give a better ride and more heel clearance for panniers. I can go Spartan UL with a couple waterproof stuff sacks or do the classic pannier thing. A Z-rest fits perfectly behind the basket.

I have now added bar tape to the lower loop for alternate hand positioning.

FYI, if you bike has mid-fork braze-ons, the Racktime Topit front rack is available at Sierra Trading Post for $25. Racktime is marketed by Orltieb and designed by Tubus.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Sweet!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Nice looking bike.  You have it pimped out nicely.

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

The bars are well above the saddle line, so you will end up with a lot more weight on the rear than what you should have. On the flat is not a big deal, as long as you avoid potholes and very rough terrain, as the rear wheel may suffer from breaking spokes and the likes.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I have arthritis in my neck, so an upright riding position is really necessary. I’m also a weird fit, with short arms and legs and long torso.

I ride dynamically, getting off the saddle in rough stuff and using my legs as a spring. Gravel rail trails are usually the roughest stuff I ride.

I’ve been riding this style for years and never broke a spoke. Millions of Dutch and Danish riders use upright bikes with no big deal.

Skinny high pressure tires and lighter spokes and rims would be more prone to damage. What I’m riding on is more mountain bike style and they take huge jumps and bumps.

There is some power loss in a more upright position, but it’s that or no riding.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

How do you like the 1×11 drivetrain?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

What a beauty Dale! Nicely done, sweet bike. Do you go tubeless for added comfort?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The 1×11 drivetrain was too tall with a 38 tooth chainring. Dropping to 34 was easy with no chain modifications and a simple b-line adjustment which SRAM makes a handy dandy gauge for setting. I like the simplicity.

I haven’t gone tubeless yet  Those WTB Horizon tires are more spupple and lighter that the 26×2 Schwalbe Marathons on my other bike—- if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Here’s my latest mod, now that I have named the bike “Waldo” (decal from bikenames.com)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Dale that’s one sweet bike, enjoy! I hope you share some of your adventures with Waldo. Would like to him loaded up once you get a chance to pack for a trip.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The plan is to use to light panniers, a 20 liter dry bag on top of the rear rack and a 13 liter on the front rack or in the basket. That will give me more room than my multi-day pack.

We ride a lot of rail trails and I want to do a trip on this one in September: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/palouse-to-cascades-trail-rattlesnake-lake. I can ride from the Seattle suburbs to the Colombia River on this one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools