Topic

Big Sky Wisp 1P Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Sky Wisp 1P Tent

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

For those looking at the 3F tents in general, The Guys from Big Sky commented on the Massdrop thread about the potential for it being a direct copy of the Wisp. Though the 3F is about 10cm shorter, according to specs. Also, The Big Sky guys mentioned hearing of the seem quality lacking on the 3F models. What few reviews I’ve found around the internet on 3F tents seem to corroborate this. They might be ok, but I wouldn’t expect them to last as long as many of the cottage brands favored around these parts.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

can only speak to the one i have in front of me

but the stitching on the 3F tent that i actually have on hand is acceptable, not perfect, but perfectly serviceable

there are however other minor flaws … but one that a bit of minor mods can fix

one thing i will say is that the sil they use is pretty waterproof, at least when new … i intentionally sprayed it down with a hose for 30 min (and not at a sprinkle either) as well as created a puddle to sleep and put my entire body weight on throughout the night …. the material had no misting or leakage

as to how it behaves in a strong wind i have yet to see …

now the aegismax sleeping bag is another story … theres issues with that

as i said ill put up a post eventually on the 3F tent i have

the biggest limitation with the one i have is that you really dont want to be over 5’8 or so

Were supposed to get 30-40mm of rain this weekend, ill leave it out to see how it holds up

;)

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

Will Rietveld reviews this tent on his blog ultralight insights. He includes some pictures, it looks pretty tight inside for people over 5’10” or so

Any chance of a link to the blog posting? I searched what I believe is his blog at Ultralight Insights but only came up with a Evolution 2P review.

Thanks

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

It’s definitely there (at least earlier today), you just need to load the older posts (maybe several times?) to reach it.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yes, bottom of the page , older posts, about 3 or 4 pages back.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Thanks Evan. The Ultralight Insights review was good and thorough. I did notice where the author wrote: “at 91″ long, this is a good tent for taller hikers”.  If the foreign knockoffs are 4″ shorter, that’s a lot.

To me the Wisp looks more symmetrical in the overhead shots. It’s all staked down in storm mode though.

I have to give Big Sky credit, they’re totally up front in saying the “Super Bivy” is meant for low humidity climates. Not a perfect shelter, but when you look at the weight, side entry, quick setup, small footprint and cost, I think Big Sky is really on to something here. That’s why they’re being copied.

The 10.6 oz cuben Wisp would be great for just in case day hikes or adventure racing (if you’re rich). I’d still rather go with the 30d (SuperSil) because silnylon’s stretch might work better with this design. The panel tieouts look a little vulnerable, so I’d shy away from the 20d (SuperSil UL) and the 10d (SuperSil SUL). Costs less and more durable. Very little weight penalty.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I have a tent using Big Sky’s SuprSil-UL fabric. Zero concerns with durability for use as a fly. It seems like a strong silnylon (wish it was available to MYOGers!). That said, my friend has a tent with the normal SuprSil fabric. His tent <span style=”line-height: 1.8;”>stretches much less when wet</span>

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I purchased this tent used from Will Rietweld.  My comments are as follows.

My previously most commonly used tents are: an HMG Ultamid 2 and BSI Evolution.  My uses are long shoulder season distance wilderness hiking and boating (canoe, kayak, packraft) trips.  While the Ultamid2 serves me well, I am seeking a tent with the following characteristics:

1. Single pole support;
    2. Smaller pitch area that Ultamid2.
    3. Bug protection;
    4. Less weight.

After using the Cuben Wisp on a 4 day pack rafting trip, here are my thoughts observations:

Pros:

1. Design is impeccable.  It is the fastest tent I have ever pitched. The pitch is super tight, every line and panel is taught.
    2. Very well made.  While tie-outs are not as bomber as HMG, they are comparable to MLD.
    3. Dimension proportions work very well.  High enough to sit up inside, with legs in vestibule, and dress\undress.
    4. Vestibule is sufficiently rooming for gear you need to keep dry.
    5. Love the ability to adjust the height of the large front panels to give views even during rain.

Cons:

(Note:  I am 6’1, 185lbs.  I use an Exped UL70 Downmat which is 3″ thick and 26″ wide.)

1. It is too small for someone my height on a 3″ pad.  My feet touch the upper portions of the side panels.  Either it needs the floor lengthened by 6″ or the foot box peak heightened by 3″.  Note: there is a removable carbon pole in the foot box to hold it up.
    2. The sleeping area is only 24″ wide at the foot.  While my pad, which is 26″ wide, does fit with minimal overlap on the sides, it is not ideal.  Adding 6″ to width would be sufficient to avoid contact between my sleeping bags and the wall panels, which is critical given Con #3.
    3. Condensation.  The foot box is noseeum mesh and there is a small (ridiculously so) vent on the vestibule side panels.  This is totalling inadequate.  I realize many do not subscribe to the value of vents in tents, but I am not one of them.  As someone who regularly hikes in temperatures which drop by 10 degrees at night, resulting in significant condensation\dew outside and inside the tent, I find vents do reduce noticeably the amount of condensation on the interior walls.
    4. Very regrettably, the combination of Con #2 and Con#3, makes the tent unusable.  My sleeping bag was damp\wet in the foot and along the side from touching the walls.

I love the design of this tent.  For me it offers the greatest potential I have seen for a sub 16oz single person tent that is light, stable in wind, easily pitched, completely dry, bug proof and with a small foot print.  It is just a little too small.  And yes, as others have pointed out here, I would prefer a mirror image of the tent with right sided exit.

Summary:  Four alterations would make it perfect for me:

1. Increase floor length by 6 inches;
    2. Increase floor width by 6 inches;
    3. Increase height of foot box peak by 3 inches; and
    4. Increase size of vent on vestibule panels.

Derrick

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

The single pole support seems to be the most challenging obstacle in your criteria to overcome.

Adding one additional (even straight) pole offers quite a lot of design flexibility and stability.

The GoLite SL2 / Black Diamond Betamid – case in point for mids; you lose some interior convenience with the pole but gain a lot of stability and usable interior space as a result.

Same w/2-pole tents a la ZPacks 2-pole tents, TarpTent Stratospire (TTSS), and the like. These shelters have remarkably usable designs, very roomy and stable in wind; but the TTSS is heavy…

For 1-pole designs, I’ve settled on solo mids; in bad bugs, a 2/3 inner; you should be able to find something with dimensions that can comfortably accommodate your height.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

but the TTSS is heavy…
    We could make them smaller and lighter but there already are a lot of small tents , no ?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I don’t want a smaller TTSS.

I want a CUBEN TTSS :)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Pretty sure that’s called a ZPacks Duplex :)

Let the flaming begin….

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

As you know, Henry is not all that keen in selling $600 shelters particularly since longevity is not proven and some prefer the smaller pack size and “give” of silnylon anyway.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

I want a Wisp that is just a smidgeon bigger to avoid bag contact with the walls.  It is essentially an asymmetrical pyramid with the bug net built in and a 15″ carbon pole to increase height at the foot area.

Yes, Zpacks comes close but I am not a fan of so many guy lines as per the Altaplex et al.  The Wisp stakes down perfectly on the corners with no guys at all.

I communicated with Bob Moulder at BSI and was told that larger versions of the Wisp design will be coming, expected around January, 2017.  Hopefully they are not too much bigger and hopefully it happens!

Derrick

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Franco,

Cuben has been in use as tent fabric now for almost a decade.  Consensus puts the life of a cuben shelter at about 3 years minimum with regular use.  Cuben will never be silnyon.  It tis what it tis – incredibly light, 100% waterproof, reasonably durable, notably expensive tent and tarp material.  Even with this knowledge in the market place, there is a demand for cuben shelters amongst those who are willing to pay a premium to save a pound in their pack.  I am one of those, and also one of those that wishes Bob would turn his design and manufacturing skills toward cuben options.  I imagine they would be amongst the choicest, if not the choicest, of 3 season tents available.

Derrick

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

bumping an old thread; is the 91″ listed on their site for shelter length an increase on what it was circa 2016?

it was alluded to that BSI was looking to increase length (and possibly width) in 2017, just wondering if that happened

TIA

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Mike

As far as I know there was no change to the length. In fact, I don’t believe it’s available in cuben anymore.

Derrick

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thanks

I’m fine with the sil version, was hoping they added a little length- one of the very few cons mentioned

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

To its credit Big Sky lists the Wisp as a “Super Bivy” which I feel it is.

I think the Tarptent AEON, as reviewed by Ryan Jorden on BPL, solves most of the problems we see in solo ‘mid tents. Interior space, especially “sleeping space” is good due to the CF struts in the two “Pitchloc” corners and single strut at mid back wall.

Too, the AEON has a horizontal CF strut in the top for a “no guy line” pitch in calmer weather and better top ventilation. OK, it’s 1 lb. and not 10.6 oz. like the Wisp, but that’s a very livable 1 lb.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ I’ll take a peek at the Aeon as well.  Looking for something that will work as solo shelter that is light, has a small footprint, yet is decently weather resistant.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Big Sky has recently added some new improvements to the Wisp 1P making it far less prone to condensation. It is now called the Wisp “Moon View” 1P Super Bivy. From what I understand the head end is now double walled and the fly can be rolled back for a “moon view” and better air flow. The vestibule also now has a top vent. ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk says “With a 2 skin design and added venting options, condensation should rarely be an issue. As well as a top vent near the entrance, you can open out the head end to enjoy the view and keep the air flowing when the weather is kind.”

I have searched YouTube and Google trying to get a better picture of what the new and improved Wisp looks like, but I can’t find a thing. Also the weight has gone up a little to 23.5 oz because Big Sky only offers the Wisp in a 30d double silicone now. The 15D UL option isn’t available anymore. Of course you can still order the DCF Wisp too. Has anyone gotten their hands on one of the latest versions of the Wisp? I’d like to learn more.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Sounds interesting, but no photos seem to be available. I don’t think their Supr-Sil UL fabric is 30D. I’d guess 20D.

Above, Derrick says the original version was easy to pitch. What order would you stake out this tent in? It looks like a minimum of 7 stakes are required.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools